Creating a C++ application with FMOD Studio

I’m a sound designer on a quest to understand the coding aspects of how FMOD studio works better. I took some C++ classes a few years ago, but nothing too crazy. If my questions really come out too noobish or if you see something seriously lacking, just point to the nearest C++ learning center, and I’ll brush up some! (I just want to re-create the example projects with my own FMOD Studio projects and have them link.)

I’ve downloaded the API and VC++ 2010. I have found the documentation really helpful in explaining each piece of code. What I’m trying to do right now is rebuild the simple_event example from scratch using my own FMOD studio event that I created.

1. From scratch, how do I properly import the DLL’s into VC 2010? (My lack of C++ knowledge)
  2. How do I link the studio files to the C++ event? Do I copy the master bank + events into the C++ project folder?

Let me know if I’m not way over my head! (Or if the answers are right in front of me in the context document. I’m all over that thing right now.)

Hi RatAudio,

1. From scratch, how do I properly import the DLL’s into VC 2010? (My lack of C++ knowledge)

There is nothing special about the process of linking FMOD. This is a good starting place: | Microsoft Learn

1. How do I link the studio files to the C++ event? Do I copy the master bank + events into the C++ project folder?

You need all the bank files in /Build/Desktop, they contain the events and the encoded audio data.

1 Like