Delay Interval Behavior

Hi,

I’ve tried to use the Delay Interval option, but what it does is play the sound from the middle (500-1000 ms onwards if set to 500-1000 ms) rather than the beginning after 500-1000 ms.

The reason I can’t use the scatterer Instrument is because it’s not audible in 2D event for some reason.

I am using the latest version of Fmod - 2.00.03 with Unity 2019.1.14f1

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you’re using a synchronous instrument. To get the behavior you want, select the instrument, then click the “Async” toggle button in the deck.

When an instrument is in synchronous mode, the part of the waveform that plays is the part of the waveform that’s overlapped by the timeline playback position. This means that if a synchronous instrument has a delay interval, the audio file always starts playing from the part of the waveform the playback position overlaps the moment the delay interval ends. Asynchronous instruments, by contrast, act like on/off switches; once an asynchronous instrument is triggered, its waveform begins playing from the beginning regardless what position the timeline playback position is in. For more information about synchronous and asynchronous instruments, see the synchronous and asynchronous instruments section of the working with instruments chapter of the FMOD Studio User Manual.

Incidentally, you can prevent a scatterer from adding spatializers to the single instruments, multi instruments, and programmer instruments in its playlist by setting its Min Scatter Distance and Max Scatter Distance to 0. This is useful if you want an event containing a scatterer instrument to be 2D instead of 3D.

Thank you very much for your reply!

The async toggle button was actually the solution. My mistake I missed that.

As for the scatterer the min and max scatter Distance is set to 0. Its audible when I preview the event in fmod, but within the game I can hear only single and multi instruments.

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this. When I test here, an event with no spatializer or distance attenuation, and which contains only a scatterer instrument with Min & Max Scatter Distance of 0, is audible from any distance.

Is there a spatializer effect in the event? Have you tried rebuilding your banks? What kind of instruments does the scatterer instrument’s playlist contain?

Thank you very much for your help! You just gave me the idea to try reproducing it in another empty Unity project using the same versions of Fmod and Unity… and it turns out it works there. That means the problem seems to be related to the unity project…

Well… It seems it is related to the camera position (and its listener) more than the distance to the the emitter еven if the event is 2D. The scattered sounds are spawned around position (0, 0, 0) - moving the Listener closer to (0, 0, 0) makes them louder (and audible). Moving the Emitter does not change anything.

If the listener position has an effect on behaviour, the audio of the event must be being attenuated based on distance. This means that the event is 3D, not 2D. There are three possible causes of this kind of attenuation.

The first is an effect that applies spatialization. Can you confirm that there’s no spatializer effect, object spatializer effect, or similar effect on any of the event’s tracks, or on any of the tracks of the events that event references?

The second is spatialization applied to the single, multi, and programmer instruments in the playlist of a scatterer instrument. As mentioned above, this spatialization is not applied if the scatterer instrument’s Min & Max Scatter Distance are both set to 0.

The third is attenuation due to a volume property being automated on a distance built-in parameter. Do any parameters appear in the transport bar of your event? And if they do, are they based on distance?

There is no spatializer effect or object spatializer effect or similar effects on any of the event’s tracks, which means its 2D, right? The event is not referenced or using any nested events in it. And I am not using any parameters for this event.

I just found what I missed… and it was the min and max scatterer distance set to 1-1 instead of 0… So that actually explains everything.

However, if 2D event is set to 0-1 or 1-1 for example, the scatterer becomes 3D. And then the behavior is as described above (sounds spawn around 0.0.0).

Thank you for your time and effort so far! It helped me realize what I had missed.

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue.

An event is 3D if its behaviour changes depending on its position relative to the listener in 3D space. Spatializer effects do make an event 3D, but they’re not the only way to make an event 3D: Built-in parameters and scatterer instruments can also do it.