Encountering a lot of log spam for "channel has been reused to play another sound"

Hey y’all! Getting a weird one that we haven’t actually looked into because it didn’t cause any issues until lately.

(Running UE 4.27, currently FMOD 2.02.20)

In our game, I’m getting a ton of log spam along the lines of this here…

LogFMOD: Error: ChannelControl::isPlaying(0x3463966f7:false) returned error 3 (“The specified channel has been reused to play another sound.”) for instance type: 4 (0x1635516441).

Now, since our game is quite resource intensive, I thought maybe it’s a channel issue so I gave the game a hypothetical 1000 real channels to play with, but the issue persists. Honestly, changing channels does nothing.

Then I thought maybe I’m streaming too many assets, so I ran the game in an empty environment, but this error still occasionally happens.

As a final straw, I updated the game to the latest unstable FMOD 2.3.02.
That, actually, caused the log spam to 99% disappear. In our huge enviroments with maybe 50-60 active events, there’s still maybe one of these error messages every, say, 2 minutes, but I’m guessing that that is fine.

Of note, FMOD doesn’t sound any worse for it, in fact if I didn’t check any of the logs I wouldn’t have know that there was an issue at all.

We’re having a console crash and this log spam is the only possible reason why there might be an issue.

Is this something y’all can suss out? I’m entirely unsure what’s happening here and why the latest unstable FMOD build solves this problem.

Discussed via email, here is a summary for anyone else encountering these errors:
The errors are telling you that a voice has been stolen by the Virtual Voice System, resulting in Instruments becoming inaudible. This error is just to let you know that voices are dropping out, but if you have a lot of Instruments playing you probably won’t notice it and it’s safe to ignore.

From the crash dump we determined that the crash appears to be unrelated to FMOD, as all of the FMOD threads are idle at the time of the crash, and there is nothing related to FMOD in the call stack.