Figuring live update

Whatever I do, I can’t seem to figuring out how live update works. I’ve tried changing ports and making sure that there’s no other window but I still get the same error message:

Studio was unable connect to “localhost:9265,” as a connection error occurred: “Socket Error”.

Please check that the IP address is correct, the game is running and live update is enabled.

Help would be much appreciated

Make sure you have followed all the steps on in our docs:

https://fmod.com/resources/documentation-unity?version=2.0&page=user-guide.html#connect-using-live-update

I’m also not able to get Live Update working at all.

I’m using:
FMOD Studio 2.00.03
Unity Integration Package (for 2.00.03)
Unity (2018.4.7f1, 2019.2.2f1)
Mac OS 10.14.6

I’ve tried:

• following the steps exactly in the documentation (link above)
  • using different projects, new and existing, in both Unity and FMOD
  • running both from Unity Editor and a standalone build (making sure that Live Update is enabled for both Play in Editor as well as Default Settings in the FMODStudioSettings file)
  • using both “localhost” and “127.0.0.1”
  • changing the port in Unity and changing the IP accordingly in FMOD (e.g. “127.0.0.1:9265”. (I have tried several different values.)
  • restarting both Unity and FMOD
  • disabling all network filters like Little Snitch

Note: when I run the game in Unity I do not get the error indicated in the FMOD documentation (2.13.2 Start the Game Inside Unity).

Every time I try to connect via Live Update, I get the following error:

Studio was unable connect to “localhost” [or other IP] as a connection error occurred: “Socket Error”.

Please check that the IP address is correct, the game is running and live update is enabled.

Any suggestions on further steps I might take to resolve this would be much appreciated.

After a bit more experimentation I found the source of my problem. The Unity projects I had been using were missing a Studio Listener component. As soon as I attached one to my Main Camera, Live Update was working. Would be good to add this to the documentation.

https://fmod.com/resources/documentation-unity?version=2.0&page=user-guide.html#attach-the-listener

By the sounds of it, the FMOD System had not been initialized at the time you are trying to connect to it. The way the integration is set up is that it does not initialize until it gets accessed for the first time, which in most cases is through the FMODStudioListener component.

Cheers for the reply, Cameron. This makes sense to me now, but I still think it would be helpful to make this explicit in the documentation to give people a bit more guidance. It’s not clear from the Studio Listener documentation that it initializes the Unity Integration package, and it’s also not obvious that Live Update depends on initialization from the Studio Listener (in most cases).

1 Like