[FMOD] Output WASAPI::mixer read : GetCurrent Padding returned 0x88890004. Device was unplugged!

I also encountered this error. When playing sound in the Unity editor, unplugging the headphones will result in the following error.

Unity version: 2021.3.14
FMOD version: 2.02.17
Windows 11 22H2 22621.3737
Error message:
[FMOD] OutputWASAPI::mixerThread : GetCurrentPadding returned 0x88890004. Device was unplugged!

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
FMODUnity.RuntimeUtils:DebugLogError (string) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/RuntimeUtils.cs:576)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:DEBUG_CALLBACK (FMOD.DEBUG_FLAGS,intptr,int,intptr,intptr) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/RuntimeManager.cs:91)

The error is expected if your Logging Level is set to “LOG” in the FMOD Unity Integration settings and you unplug headphones. What isn’t expected is a deadlock/hang of any duration- did you get a hang as well or just the error?

Setting the log level to warning or log also results in an error. Currently, it seems to only result in an error message.

Ah yes my mistake, it is an error and not a log message.
We could possibly downgrade it to a warning to avoid confusion, I will suggest that to the Dev team.
In any case, if you are removing headphones and everything is otherwise working fine then this error is safe to ignore.