FMOD Return Track

Hi,

I am studying throw the FMOD example project, I find the return track for the SFX group, but never able to find where it got sent. When I apply a Snapshot by using the Reverb snapshot, there are three yellow lines that appear ( I think it must tell the connection between the tracks), but I still want to know what those yellow lines mean. Because when I insert a return track in the same position it’s not working. How is the FMOD example project’s Reverb return routed exactly?

Thank you so much for the information.

Best,
Awu.

That’s a great ressource in my opinion.

As you said, it’s routed to the SFX group, which is routed to the master. What may bother you is the fact the Reverb return level is -inf by default, so it outputs nothing to the master bus. It needs one of both reverb snapshots playing to raise its level.

Never noticed that before, but those yellow lines simply seem to show the groups and returns involved in the events opened in the editor or in the sandbox at the same time.

To see where a bus’s output is routed in the mixer, click the “OUT” button visible on the right side of your screenshot. This causes the output of each mixer strip to be displayed at the bottom of that mixer strip.

The yellow lines indicate that a bus is active. By default, buses are only active if they are receiving signals.

Thank you guys for answering, my problem is, when I create a return track for the SFX group, add a delay effect, and create a snapshot on the return track. The snapshot is simply not working on my event.
The snapshot working on the reverb return track in the FMOD example project, I just simply want to know why, and what did I do wrong.

Unfortunately, without more information about your snapshot and how it is triggered, there’s no way for us to identify the cause of the behavior you’re seeing.

I can see from the screenshot that the snapshot either sets the fader of the “Test” return bus to 0 dB or adjusts its value by 0 dB, depending on whether it is a blending or overriding snapshot. Which is it? Are there any other properties scoped into the snapshot? What is the value of the fader of the “Test” return bus when it is not subject to the snapshot? What sends target the “Test” return bus, and what are their levels?

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply, the snapshot is an overriding snapshot, the value of the fader is set to 0 as well when it is not subject to the snapshot. I added a delay effect on the return bus. When I add sent to the ‘Test’ return bus, the snapshot is working, what confused me is I can’t find any send value from the character group to the reverb return bus, but the snapshot on the reverb return bus (original build in FMOD example project) is working.

You’ll find the sends inside the events themselves (on their master track), not at the group level.

Now I understand, thanks a lot for the answer!

1 Like

If the fader is set to 0 in the base mix, and also set to 0 in the snapshot, the snapshot will change it from 0 to 0 - which is to say, it won’t have any discernible effect. If you want the snapshot to actually have an audible effect on the mix, the property values set by the snapshot must differ from the values those properties would have without the snapshot.