Help achieving a military-style walkie-talkie effect

FMOD beginner here. I’m working on a first-person multiplayer game where players can pick up walkie-talkies in the level and use them to talk to each other regardless of how far away they are. I will be adding this effect to a mixer bus. I found a video that demonstrates the effect I am looking for:

What effect would I use to accomplish this? And if possible, what would be the effect’s configuration?

Thank you

Hi,

The FMOD Studio Examples project included with the FMOD Studio download has an event: Radio Dialogue "C:\Users\XXX\Documents\FMOD Studio\examples\Examples.fspro". This event is set up to sound like a walkie-talkie, it may point you in the right direction for setting up your event.

Hope this helps.

Hey Anshu, the effect in your video is a bitcrusher which is distortion you’d only hear on digital devices. You won’t get quite the same effect but the distortion plugin in FMOD will sound more like and analog radio. On your “radio voice” bus, all you really need is a 3-EQ, make a bandpass by dropping the gain of the highs and lows (and possibly playing with the slope), and then place a distortion after it. Extra might be adding a compressor or limiter before the distortion so players’ voices are all uniform in volume.

For the radio static, I’d make a separate event that has the radio hiss loop, with a starting and stopping sample. Similar to the on in the FMOD example.

Zoom in and scrunch them all close and very short to make it so the loop can start pretty quickly (this will make it feel snappy if the voice input is brief). Make all 3 events Async. On the hiss loop, turn on looping and “cut”, and add an event condition: Not stopping. The event will loop until you stop, then it’ll exit the loop and play that end sample. Could add a gain plugin on the hiss loop and drive it with a sidechain from the voice (with short attack and release), which will make the radio hiss dip in volume on every word spoken.

Do the players press a button on the walkie talkie to talk, or do you want the game to monitor the input on the player’s microphones to play the radio hiss? For the latter, it would be way more complex but you could engineer a persistent event that drives parameters by sidechains taking input from voice, to automatically play and stop the hiss. If it were me, I’d figure out a way to monitor voice input volume using code to keep it simple, then just play and stop that first event.

1 Like

Thank you, Connor! I looked at the tutorial event and made some adjustments for my use case. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi there! Thank you so much for your detailed response! I haven’t added a radio hiss loop yet and it does feel like something is missing as of right now. I’ll follow your post and try to add it in. The walkie talkie is indeed push to talk so it should be easy to trigger.

1 Like