Multiple Reverb effects while limiting Max Instances

Hello.

I have a Unity project with some Voice Over events with a Reverb parameter configured in FMOD. Each event contains voice samples and represents a character in the game. Right now the Reverb effect is added to the event track and controlled by the parameter, but we could also add to a Return track and use sends (not sure if it’ll make any difference for the following problem).

I never want the same character to play two voice instances at the same time, so I set Max Instances to 1 in each event with stealing behavior set to Oldest.

The problem is when a character is inside a Reverb zone, because I want the reverb of previously played voices to keep playing (as if it were echoing in the room). When a new instance is played, the Reverb of previous one is currently being cut because the instance stops with the stealing behavior. What is the best approach to fix this? I’m thinking of duplicating the event (maybe only when building) so that I keep the Max instance set to 1, but the duplicated one applies the Reverb and Max Instance to infinite, just so the reverb doesn’t get cut off.

Is there any way to send multiple instances of an event to a Return track, even though the Max Instance is set to cut them off?

Thanks

Putting the reverb effect on a return bus, instead of on a return track inside the event, should solve this issue.

The reverb’s tail is being cut off because you are stopping the event instance that contains the reverb effect. If you move the reverb effect out of the event and into the mixer, it will be able to continue playing its tail even after the event instance has stopped.

1 Like