Problem with celeste+fmod

Hi,

i’m trying to do the tutorial of celeste on your website. I’m carefully following the instructions. I’m not able to build the banks of your project into the game. When i’m browsing into the game folder (…/…/…/…/Library/ApplicationSupport/Steam/steamapps/common/Celeste/Celeste.app/Contents/MacOS/Content/FMOD), there are 7 banks instead of 5. The 2 soundbank are call dlc_music.bank and dlc_sfx.bank. The version of my game is 1.3.1.2 and i just bought it on steam. If i’m trying to launch the game after building the banks of your project, the game crashed (because the 2 banks are missing). I tried to create two banks with EXACTLY the same name and nothing inside,same result.

Is that normal? Can you guys help me?

Thanks!

The “dlc_music.bank” and “dlc_sfx.bank” files contain the new audio content added in the free “Chapter 9” DLC that was released for Celeste last month. These files are there because Steam automatically updates the games in your library to the latest non-beta version available, and the latest version includes the new DLC. However, the Celeste FMOD Studio project available from our website is from an earlier version of the game that does not include the DLC. As a result, when you rebuilt the banks, you overwrote the game’s bank files with older versions that did not include all the content that the game expected. When the game tried to load these banks, it could not find the content it expected, and crashed.

In order to use the Celeste FMOD Studio project to connect to your game using live update, you must set Steam to “update” Celeste to an earlier version. To do this:

1. Right-click on Celeste in your steam library, and select “Properties” from the context menu.
  2. Click on the “Betas” tab.
    The Betas tab was originally designed to allow users to test specific beta versions of games, but can also be used to roll back to specific older versions of games in some cases.
  3. Click on the “Select the beta you would like to opt into” drop-down menu, and select “outdated-1.2.5.0”.
  4. Close the window.
    Steam will then automatically download and update your game to that earlier version, which is compatible with the Celeste FMOD Studio project.

We’ll update our manual to include these extra steps. Thanks for letting us know about this issue!

I was having the same problem as OP, but it worked out when I “updated” to 1.2.5.0.

I am new to FMOD (and sound design), and I’ve never used the Live Update feature. That is where it stops for me now, as I get a the following message when trying to connect:

Studio was unable to connect to “localhost” as connection error occurred: version mismatch.Please check the IP address is correct, the game is running and live update is enabled

In the current manual, it says that you need to have the latest version of the game, but if I run the latest version of the game, I get the error mentioned by OP. By running a v 1.2.5.0 I don’t get the crash on startup, but I can’t run Live Update. I’m not sure if Live Update would work even with the newest version installed, but at least there seems to be some contradictory information in the manual at the moment.

Any ideas on what I can do to successfully run Live Update?

I am running Celeste from Steam on a mac.

1 Like

I found out the problem

I was running a version of FMOD 2.0, whereas you need a 1.10-version to run the Celeste project. It’s stated in the manual (but the thing which should be corrected there is that you need an outdated version of the game).