Reaper linking best practices (FMOD 2.00)

Hi there!

I was very excited by the Reaper integration, but now I’m using it, I miss some points about the usability of it.

• First, when designing sounds, my process it to render and render and again render (apply tracks Fx to selected item) and glueing. All those files are then in my Media Files folder, which is the folder Fmod is searching in for new assets. The problem is that this folder is containing a lot of assets that are useless are they are not the final result wanted. Do you know a way to overwrite the init file when rendering the way I do?

• I tried to find a way to render (apply track fx as a new take) in another folder with a good naming system, I found nothing about it. Do you know how to render (not with Render to File but with apply fx) with custom name and path?

• Then, what’s the point of the integration if I get messy Asset management in Fmod instead of using the selected media items Rendering to File menu with custom path to Fmod asset folder?

If you have any good advices for me, I would be happy to listen. For now, I’ll keep using the Render to File (and overwrite) instead of using the Fmod Reaper integration.

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re using Reaper to render your finished audio files into the same folder that your source audio files come from, and are having trouble separating your source audio files from your finished audio files as a result.

The solution is to render your audio files into a directory other than the one in which your source audio files are stored. You can set the directory and file name Reaper renders your project to by changing the “Directory”, “File Name”, and “Render to” fields in the dialog that appears when you select “Render…” from Reaper’s file menu:

For more informaton about these properties, see page 412 of Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide, which can be downloaded from this page of the Reaper website.

Hello @joseph and thank you for the reply.
This is exactly what I’m doing when rendering directly to the Fmod asset folder. I don’t see how the reaper integration would be better than my actual workflow, there are no less steps.

What are, from your point of view, the benefits of it? Thanks.

What are, from your point of view, the benefits of it? Thanks.

As described in the FMOD Studio manual:

Linking a Reaper project imports all of its rendered audio files as linked audio assets. Linked audio assets are updated and refreshed automatically if changes in the source Reaper project file are detected.

In other words, the reaper integration reduces the number of steps involved in iterating on assets.

You can also import Reaper timelines as events, allowing you to convert complex content designed in Reaper into complex content that works in Studio with minimal effort.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph.
This is what was missing for my comprehension, the auto refresh and updates, it is one step less than rendering as I do. Ok, so this is cool, better than manually refresh assets within Fmod.