Resonance soundfield and poor performance with ambisonic files?

I have a question regarding FMOD 2 and resonance audio (and Unity).
I have some issues with the ambisonic soundfields in FMOD. When I run an ambisonic soundfile through the soundfield the performance increases dramatically to 90% - 100%. On a faster computer I could keep it under 90% for some time, but on my MacBook Pro it went into 100% immediately when playing a soundfield ambisonic file.
Do any of you have experience using soundfields and ambisonic files in FMOD 2.0 using the resonance audio spatializer?
I have both tried using pure 1st order ambix sounds as well as pre-baked 1st order ambisonic wave files, and it all pushes the performance to more than 90% using one sound. When I look at the profiler, the sound from the resonance audio spatializer is almost the only thing taking up the performance. I managed to play up to almost 150 resonance audio sound sources simultaneously with OK performance (still something like 50-60% of the CPU though), but as soon as just one single soundfield with an ambisonics file was played the performance went straight to 100%.
Are there settings I should know of in either Unity or FMOD or is this a known issue?

I really hope you can help me with this.

Hi Jenkamusic,

Is this issue only appearing on OSX? In trying to replicate the issue, I wasn’t noticing exactly what you described, but I did notice a considerable performance disparity between OSX and Windows specifically with resonance audio.
We will look to bring the performance of the two resonance audio versions closer in a future version. If the issue still persists after this update (or if you experience the issue somewhere other than OSX), please let us know.

Thanks
Tristan

Hi Tristan,
We have only tried this on OSX, and not windows unfortunately. But we tried it on three different OSX machines with different specifications.
If you make an update with better performance of the resonance audio OSX version, I would be super happy if you could let me know.

Best regards,
Niels

Hi Niels,

We have an updated version of the resonance audio plugin (OSX only) that will be included with the next version of FMOD (2.00.07). Hopefully that will address the performance issues you have been encountering.

Tristan

Hi Tristan,
That sound wonderful. I will be looking forward to this update, and promise to give you feedback on it as well. Thanks a lot for this.

Hi Tristan,
Are you sure the ambisonic files using the soundfield is working in this new version of FMOD 2.00.07?
When I pull in an ambix file, apply a resonance audio soundfield and try to turn around in the 3D overview, nothing seems to be happening with the file. It does not pan around in the 3D field at all now. Trying with the FMOD 2.00.05 version doing the exact same thing, the sound is panning correct (just using too much CPU).
Sorry for keeping getting back with this resonance audio stuff :slight_smile:

Best,
Niels

I just tested the performance of resonance audio on a macbook now, using 3D sound as well as ambisonics files, and the performance is now significantly better.
But very sad that the ambisonics files now don’t work at all.
If you would like me to send some ambisonics files to test the system with I would be happy to send you some.
Do you think there will be an update at some point where the ambisonics files work?

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the information. We have identified the cause of the problem and have scheduled to fix the issue in an upcoming verison of FMOD.

Hi Tristan
That sounds wonderful :slight_smile:
Is it possible that you could ping me here when the problem is solved?

Niels

Sure. It will be available in FMOD 2.00.09.

Hi Tristan,
Sorry that I just keep posting resonance audio stuff, but unfortunately I keep running into problems.
I just realised that it is not just the ambisonic files that does not work with FMOD 2.00.08.
It is actually also the resonance audio sources, that suddenly don’t work anymore.
The panning of the sound doesn’t work anymore for some reason. I have the exact same project running using FMOD 2.00.05 and 2.00.08. In the old version that resonance 3D audio sources work perfectly, but in the new version they don’t have any panning anymore, which is of course a little sad.
Will this also be fixed in the 2.00.09 version with the ambisonics issue?
Niels

Hi Niels,

Yes, that should also be sorted. It was due to too aggressive optimisation - the next version will be slightly slower than the 2.00.08 version but should still be faster than the 2.00.05 version.

Thanks
Tristan

Hi Niels,

The early access version for 2.1 should have a fix for your issues. This change will also be included in the 2.00.09 release.

Hi tristan,
Sounds great. Will be looking forward to that.

Niels

Hi Tristan,
It is the annoying resonance audio interested person again :slight_smile:
I just downloaded FMOD studio 2.00.08 and unfortunately the panning of resonance audio sources still doesn’t work. And the ambisonics files also does not work at all. You can navigate around in them anymore.
Resonance audio seems to be completely broken now unfortunately.

Best,
Niels

Oh shit … sorry … didn’t read your post decently … it is 2.00.09 … sorry :slight_smile:

No worries - yes 2.00.08 will still have the resonance audio issue, but 2.01.00 early access (which is also available) should have the resonance audio fix.