Runtime memory concerns using FMOD for WebGL / HTML5 project

I’m attempting to get an idea for how much additional memory is allocated at runtime when using FMOD in a WebGL / HTML5 project, when compared to using Unity Audio?

My team is approaching the 2gb runtime limit for WebGL and we’re concerned adding FMOD will put us over the limit.

Not after a specific answer, just getting an idea of whether or not FMOD is considerably bigger than the default Unity audio.

Cheers

As a test I ran the Karting Microgame tutorial in a WebGL build and checked the memory usage, first on it’s own and then after adding FMOD. Without FMOD, memory usage was peaking around 720mb, and with FMOD it was around 945mb.
With some basic optimization however (loading/unloading banks only as they are needed) I was able to get memory usage down to 715mb with FMOD. There are other optimizations I could do to get this down further, such as removing unused events, reducing the encoding quality of my banks and selecting certain events to be streamed in instead of loaded in memory- things you don’t get control of by using stock Unity Audio.
Obviously this is a small project and only a single data point, but you should be able to achieve equal memory usage or better by using FMOD.

2 Likes

This was incredibly helpful, thanks so much!

1 Like