Setting up Steam Audio Occlusion in Unity via FMOD Studio

Hey Everyone,

In Unity, when I attach a FMOD Studio Event Emitter Component and a Steam Audio Source Component (Occlusion is ticked on) to a Gameobject (Sound Source), then attach a FMOD Studio Listener to my Player (Sound Destination), assign an Steam Audio Material (concrete) to various Gameobjects between them (see picture), and play the game, I can hear the Sound (position and attenuation), but I can´t hear any occlusion going on. Occlusion inside the Steam Plugin Effect, located in the Audio Track of FMOD Studio is set to “simulation-defined” as stated in the documentation.

The potential Error:
The documentation explains:
"In Unity …

1. Select the FMOD Event Emitter.
  2. Make sure a Steam Audio Source component is attached to it.
    "

Is there even a way to attach an Steam Audio Component to an FMOD Event Emitter (Component)? Is this an error in the documetation? What am I missing?

Thank you very very much in advance!

Unity 2021.3.4f1
FMOD Studio 2.02.07
iMac 10.15.7

Player Gameobject is located on the other side of the immense stonewall (tiny tiny grey spot).

Kind Regards from Vienna, Austria

1 Like

Just to confirm, have you done the necessary setup in FMOD Studio, including adding Steam Audio Spatializer to an event and adding phonon_fmod to the dynamic plugin list?

Thank you for getting back to me.

I found the issue:

I somehow managed to overlook the passage in the steam unity integration documentation, where it says that after applying steam geometry you have to do: Steam → Export Active Scene…
I did that and now it works =)

Exporting the Active Scene then automatically creates a new Gameobject named Steam Audio Static Mesh. Just mentioning this for the beginners, like me.

Thanks again, I was sure I would switch to DearVR. Now I am unsure again.

Issue is solved <3

2 Likes