SOLVED: Is it possible to keep an async instrument looping through a transition timeline?

Is it possible to keep an async instrument looping through a transition timeline?

After the transition the loop resets.

I want the top async instrument to keep looping into the next magnet region, and the bottom 2 to fade in through the transition timeline…

intuitively this feels like it should work… Not sure why it doesn’t.

Also when I drag the destination into the transition timeline, it stops playing the source. How do you create smooth transitions from one to the other if the destination cuts off the source…?

I solved this by setting polyphony to 2. For some reason it needs another voice to continue playing through the transition timeline!!

Also, further solved by @Alcibiade, you can leave polyphony on 1, and change the stealing to none.

1 Like

No, this should not work. It is a known limitation of FMOD’s transition timelines: instruments going across loose their continuity and are retriggered. To work around this, you should play your instrument another way, either in an action sheet, a parameter sheet, or another event.
I’ll try your polyphony solution, but I have big doubts…

it fully works dude!

Indeed, your trick is really good and probably allows to avoid this problem!
However, it seems to me the good setting on the async instrument to fully prevent its retrigger is:

1 Like

Haha finally after months of taking and taking from this forum, I finally contributed. I’m so happy.

Ah wow, let me try that. Cos yeah having 2 voices at once definately isn’t ideal

1 Like

YES! that’s even better. nice one dude!

This reminded me that instruments also had polyphony settings. I often tweak the polyphony at the event level but rarely or never at the instrument level ; now I know it can be useful!

I’m having some trouble getting this to work. When I try making an event like the one shown in the screenshot and setting the instrument’s polyphony to 2 or 1, the old instance of the instrument is untriggered when the playback position passes through the transition timeline, resulting in the instrument ceasing to play when it subsequently finishes playing out its content.

We do want to provide a way to make an instrument remain triggered through and after a transition timeline, but we don’t have any internal record of implementing this feature, so I’m surprised you were able to get it working.

1 Like

Have you set the stealing to none, @joseph?

1 Like

@joseph, also you have to create fades in the transition timeline both from the destination and from the source. I hadn’t done that in the first screenshot, but I did show it in the solution screenshot

That’s not necessary, just creating the transition timeline is sufficient.

However, I should test how this behaves with a looping unstrument, when it reaches the end of its internal content. My guess is that it may not loop properly. I’ll test that later.

Ok, so as I supposed, this workaround has serious limitations. It only works on async single and multi instruments without loop. And it doesn’t work with nested events.

Yes.

I haven’t been able to get it working with non-looping instruments, either.

To the best of my knowledge, this workaround shouldn’t work. I do not understand how you are able to get it working. Are you able to send us a project that exhibits the workaround?

It simply continues to play the content of the async instrument, as it usually does when an non-looping async instrument is untriggered:

Doesn’t it behave like this on your system?

That is exactly how it behaves on my system: The instance of the instrument is untriggered when the playback position passes through the transition timeline, resulting in the instrument ceasing to play when it subsequently finishes playing out its content.

This makes this method incapable of (for example) continuing playing an infinitely looping sound through a transition timeline, because the fact that the instrument is untriggered guarantees that it will stop eventually.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s good to know I wasn’t missing anything.