Subtitles for Randomized Dialogue Events?

Ah, ok. I think I know what’s the discrepancy here. First, let me back up a bit.

In a separate forum thread (Overlapping Dialogue Interactions), I worked out with another user a technique he had developed for preventing interactive dialogue cues from overlapping unnaturally. This technique has the dialogue clips run as an EventReference instead of an EventInstance (the code narratorController.Play(collectedDialogue, SFXConcurrencyStrategy.Wait); in the last script I shared) which runs it through a concurrency script to determine if another dialogue clip is currently running, and if so how it should be handled (cancel, wait, stop current, etc.).

So, I gather that since the event is being triggered by an EventReference instead of an EventInstance, that’s why the parameter isn’t being triggered (I ran into a similar issue with trying to pause the EventReference cues in the case of the Pause Menu being loaded mid-dialogue, but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth wasting my time on figuring a way around that for only a few seconds of dialogue).

I just attempted to see if I could start the EventInstance and the EventReference simultaneously, but that of course just resulted in the clip playing twice.

I tested taking it off of the EventReference, and passed it through as an EventInstance instead, and that did work, so this definitely seems to be the issue. I also tried starting the EventInstance and immediately stopping it, then letting the EventReference play, but that didn’t work either - the clip played, and didn’t double up, but the parameter switch didn’t hold over into the Event Reference (didn’t think it would, but it was worth a shot, lol).

Is there a way to pass the parameter trigger through to an EventReference, as you would with an EventInstance, or do I need to essentially choose between having my dialogue overlap and having the captions synch up?