SystemNotInitializedException Error Thrown due to Not

Hello! Running into this issue when trying to use FMOD in my Unity project (2019.4.10). Doesn’t always occur but when it does it prevents the entire call stack from finishing and seems to only get fixed after restarting Unity. Ideally I would like to avoid this altogether, but at the least I’d like to continue to work on my project’s code even when FMOD fails. Can the error be handled differently?

SystemNotInitializedException: [FMOD] Initialization failed : FMOD.Studio.System.create : ERR_MEMORY : Not enough memory or resources.
    FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:114)
    FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_StudioSystem () (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:128)
    FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.AddListener (FMODUnity.StudioListener listener) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:335)
    FMODUnity.StudioListener.OnEnable () (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/StudioListener.cs:18)

The cause of this problem is editing scripts while playing in editor. Each time the scripts reload FMOD leaks a System object. Once the limit of 8 is reached you receive the memory error and a reload of Unity is required. This will be fixed in our next release.

In the mean time the only workaround is to go into your Unity preferences and change “Script changes while playing” to “Recompile after finished” or “Stop playing and recompile”.

1 Like