The result of Oboe Tester 2

Android 11 for Samsung devices recently came out, and I updated to the version last week.
You know what, the noise issue with AAudio is finally gone.
I COULD USE THE API WITH WI-FI ON ALL THE TIME!
I wanted to let your team know about this earlier, but I also had to make sure this is always true.
After testing for a week, now it’s safe to say it’s completely fixed.

I’m not still sure if it was an issue with Google’s Android 10 itself or Samsung’s implementation or my device’s bad health, though.

The open beta test of my app has ended last week, and during the test, I got a one-star review just saying BUGGY SOUND without any extra explanation from a Huawei user running Android 10.
I can’t say the user’s complaint was about the noise issue with AAudio we are talking about here, but there’s zero chance of another sound issue (if they are not just trolling) because my app is just a simple audio player that utilizes FMOD API.

Anyway, I also tested using Oboe again.
I’m attaching the screenshots here for you.

Before1
After1

Before2
After2

As you can see, there are two differences in the second one.

Hope this tells you something about all this.

Thanks.

Ah, I forgot to mention this.
I could reduce the buffer sizes.
Option 2 and 1 respectively as shown in the screenshots.

That is really great to hear!

We also filed the issue with oboe - Audio crackling on Samsung Galaxy S10/S10+ with AAudio using MMAP with wifi enabled. · Issue #1178 · google/oboe · GitHub - in case you are interested in seeing any response from google’s end.

We have had some significant issues with Huawei handsets in the past - much of the dynamic adjustments we added were to better accommodate the behaviour of the Mate 20. Do you happen to know handset which model they were using?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your dedication and hard work :slight_smile:
I didn’t know about the issue with Mate 20, and happy to hear you fixed it.
But the user wasn’t using the model.
Theirs were Huawei P30 with Android 10.
Again, thank you!

Happy to help where we can.

We might need to get more information about the Huawei P30 before we can do more - if you can get anymore information from the user, let us know.

I asked them, but unfortunately no answer at all since then.
It may not be an AAudio related issue, by the way.
My app has an Audio API option in the settings, but the default setting is OpenSL (due to the AAudio issue we were talking about).
Huawei P30 is not that old device and as powerful as Samsung Galaxy S10, so I have no idea what they were experiencing.
Anyway, I’ll come back when there’s something to let you know.
Thanks.

Ah, that might explain it then. A number of the dynamic adjustment features are only implemented for AAudio as they use AAudio specific features.

1 Like