Unreal can't find plugin in 5.4

I am trying to update a project to Unreal 5.4.1 but it can’t find the plugin. I am getting the error in the screenshot. This is using the binaries version of Unreal from the Epic Game Store. I tried putting the plugin in the \UE_5.4\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace and \UE_5.4\Engine\Plugins\ folder but both give the same error. I am using the 2.02.22 plugin for UE5.4 for Windows. I get this error when just trying to open the editor, not even trying to open any projects.

I am trying to avoid putting the plugin into the folder’s plugin folders because it’s an easier workflow, as I don’t have to include the plugins folder into the repo.

Hi,

Just to clarify, what version of Unreal and/or the FMOD for Unreal plugin were you using prior to updating? What directory was the FMOD plugin previously located?

Previous version is Unreal 5.2.1 with FMOD 2.02.15.
Directory is \UE_5.2\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\FMODStudio.

By the way, ever since Unreal 5.0, the binaries version of Unreal doesn’t recognize FMOD if it’s in the \Plugins\ folder. If it’s moved to \Plugins\Marketplace\ it works fine. I posted this to the forums a long time ago. The source version doesn’t have this problem, if it’s \Plugins\ it detects it and compiles it fine with the rest of the engine.

Unreal 5.4.1 with FMOD 2.02.22 works fine with the binaries version if I put it in the Projects\Plugins\ folder. But I don’t want to do that, much easier workflow for the team and less compile time for the programmers. Which is why I have my team place it in the Engine\Plugins\Marketplace folder previously.

Same problem for me, but i’m trying to put it in the project plugins folder !

There is a known issue with UE 5.4 where the plugin is built for the incorrect UE version, which may be causing the issue you’re describing. As a workaround, I would recommend placing the plugin in the ./Projects/Plugins/ folder, recompiling the project from your IDE, and then moving the plugins to the ./Engine/Plugins/Marketplace folder and seeing whether that resolves the issue.

What is the exact error message that you run into when trying to do this? Is your project a Blueprint only project, or is it a C++ project?

That got it working in Windows. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately it’s not working in Linux. I downloaded the Linux version of the 5.4 plugin. Using the source version of Unreal 5.4.1 with FMOD 2.02.22, it gives a bunch of errors while compiling FMOD. I built the engine without FMOD and tried the same workaround of building it in the project folder, but it gives the same compile errors.

Also it causes the PS5 version to not compile in Development or Shipping. It gives the following compiler error:

static assertion failed due to requirement ‘bFmtStrErr<UE::Core::Private::FormatStringSan::TAtArgPos<0>>’: ‘%l’ expects integral arg (eg. char, int, long, etc.) Project C:\Unreal\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\String\FormatStringSan.h 112

These are the steps to replicate:

1. Download and unzip Unreal Engine 5.4.1 (changelist 33305029) from Unreal’s github.
  2. Download and unzip PS5-5.4-33305029.zip from your Organization Portal into the Unreal Engine 5.4.1 folder.
  3. Run Setup, GenerateProjectFiles, then build the Engine.
  4. Launch the engine. Create a First Person C++ starter project.
  5. Build the starter project for Development Editor Win64. It should compile fine.
  6. Build the starter project for Development or Shipping PS5 and it’ll give the compile error.
  7. Alternatively, launch the project in the Unreal Editor. Open the Project Launcher and try to launch the starter project on PS5, and it’ll give the same compile error.

Without FMOD, everything will compile fine. With the FMOD plugin. It’ll give the compile error above.

1 Like

So I got a work around for this error. It seems specifically related to the UE_Log() Function Calls that are in the FMODAudioLinkInputClient.cpp.
On lines 147, 156, 164, and 185-186, are the calls that caused compilation issues for me (Running on Ubuntu with Unreal Engine 5.4.1, and FMOD 2.02.22). I was receiving the same error as yourself, and my solution was to comment out those Log Calls to complete a compile. My best guess is adjusting the calls to appropriate formats of the strings (I am still new to the UE space, so the scope of that challenge is unclear), would completely remedy the problem.

1 Like

The assert you’re running into is a known issue that should be fixed in our next release. What @Agreafel has mentioned should resolve the issue, so I would recommend giving that a shot as a workaround for now.

ETA on next release?

We expect the next minor version to release in the next few weeks, but the fix has already gone up on the 2.02-UE5.4 branch of the fmod-for-unreal github repo - you can see the relevant change here: Fixed builds failing due to String Format. · fmod/fmod-for-unreal@513d95b · GitHub

Will this include the fixes for console? And how can I get notified when the next minor release gets published? FMOD sends out email for major releases, but not minor ones.

The changed I linked should resolve the issue for console as well, though please let us know if it doesn’t for you. As for getting notified, we do send emails for minor releases - all I can recommend is to ensure that you are in fact subscribed to the emails, and that they aren’t going to spam/junk.

1 Like

Thanks Leah,

Easy instructions for anyone interested:

1. Grab whatever is on FMOD downloads page and put into your Project/Plugins folder.
  2. Grab FMODAudioLinkInputClient.cpp from the GitHub link listed above and put it in Project/Plugins/FMODStudio/Source/FMODAudioLink/Private/
  3. Build your game using the Binaries version of 5.4 from the Epic Launcher. This will build the plugin for 5.4.
  4. Take the FMODStudio folder in Project/Plugins and copy it to your source versions Engine/Plugins folder. You can also move it from your Project/Plugins folder to Engine/Plugins/Marketplace folder if you prefer having the FMOD plugin in your Engine directory (Binaries Version) rather than your Project directory.

Can confirm everything builds properly in Development & Shipping, using both the Binaries & Source Code versions of Unreal and your project should work on Windows, Linux, and PS5.

1 Like