i am working on fmod sounds for the boeing 747-400 in x plane flight simulator. while in the sim, i’ve noticed that the 3d pan is extremely sensitive. for example, when i turn 90 degrees from a certain sound location, one ear becomes completely silent while the other is full volume. is there any way to make the pan less sensitive? thanks
note: the simulator uses version 1.08.18 and i can’t go any higher than that
I’m afraid we’ll need more information to determine the cause of this behavior. Specificially:
- What distance (in FMOD distance units) are you from the event instance?
- What is the value of the “sound size” and “min extent” properties of the event’s spatializer effect?
- Is it the event instance that’s rotating on its axis, or the listener?
i don’t really understand, i was asking if there was an option that allows you to adjust how sensitive the panning is when you turn your head a different direction. as said before, when i moved my head 90 degrees from the sound location, it became completely silent in one ear.
this is the 747 cockpit. the sound is originating from the center screen. the listeners head is in the left seat.
I understand what you’re asking. However, in order to tell you how to change the behavior you’re hearing, I must first know the cause of that behavior, so that I can know what settings you need to change.
It sounds like you’re rotating the listener rather than the emitter, but I still need to know:
- What distance (in FMOD distance units) is the listener from the event instance?
- What are the values of the “sound size” and “min extent” properties of the event’s spatializer effect?
That could be in line with what I’ve found in this post, when the listener is distant from the emitter on the y axis (instead of the z axis) - left-handed. Which, by the way, seems to be a bug that hasn’t been addressed yet.