Applying Snapshot Functionality To Mixer Channel Strip

Hi FMOD Crew!

I would like signal from a certain channel strip to be able to trigger a snapshot. The specific context is that whenever dialogue in our game triggers I want to be able to duck music and various aspects of our mix. I could put snapshot triggers in all my events, but that would be a great deal of work. Is there a way to use snapshots via the mixer?

Thank you!

It sounds like you want to use a sidechain to control snapshot intensity.

To do this:

1. Place a sidechain in the signal chain of the bus whose signal you want to control the snapshot.
  2. Navigate to the snapshot, and set its Intensity macro control to 0%. This ensures that the snapshot normally has no effect.
  3. Attach a sidechain modulator to the Intensity macro control of the snapshot.
  4. Set the sidechain modulator’s input property to the sidechain you added to the bus. This will cause the sidechain modulator’s adjustment to change based on the signal sent from the sidechain.
  5. Set the sidechain modulator’s “Amount” to 100%. This will ensure that when the signal passing through the bus’ sidechain exceeds the max threshold of the sidechain modulator, the sidechain’s intensity will be set to 100%, meaning that it will have full effect.

Then, all you need to do is play an instance of the snapshot when your game starts up, and leave it running at all times. Whenever a signal exceeding the sidechain modulators’ thresholds passes through the controlling bus, the snapshot will come into effect.

2 Likes

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your support Joseph!