Automation for "Interval between sounds"?

Hi, there.
I’ve used FMod Designer in the past and I am now transitioning to FMod Studio.
In Designer, I used to be able to change the trigger rate (interval between sounds) in “scatterer type” sounds based on a certain parameter, such as distance.
Unfortunately, in Fmod Studio “Interval between sounds” doesn’t seem to be a automatable parameter. Is there a way to do it in Studio?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to automate interval between sounds in FMOD Studio. We have received several requests for this feature, and are planning to implement it a future release.

Until then, you may be able to work around this by using logic markers with parameter conditions to adjust how often the scatterer sound module (or any sound module) is intersected by the timeline cursor.

1 Like

Anything yet? What a disappointment. It seems like FMOD Designer has a handful of things that it can do much better than Studio… Somethings studio can’t seem to do at all…

Is there any update on this?

FYI - I got around this by using multiple scatter sound events and blended them together via the sound modules.

@JeremyBochenek As you have surmised, we have not yet implemented this feature. Unfortunately, it is only one of many features we would like to implement, and we can only work on a few new features at a time; This one has yet to arrive at the front of the queue.

I’ve been trying to work around by using the delay plugin, but it’s effect is too glitchy. Which makes sense. I don’t quite understand the previously mentioned work-arounds.
Any update on when this will be implemented?

This feature was implemented back in 2017, as part of FMOD Studio version 1.10.00.

In that version, and all later versions of FMOD Studio, each scatterer instrument has a “spawn rate” property that scales the frequency at which that scatterer instrument spawns. By automating this property on a parameter, you can cause the spawn rate of the scatterer to change depending on the value of that parameter.

In that version, and all later versions of FMOD Studio, each scatterer instrument has a “spawn rate” property that scales the frequency at which that scatterer instrument spawns. By automating this property on a parameter, you can cause the spawn rate of the scatterer to change depending on the value of that parameter.

I see! Thanks for the reponse!

Still this asks for another workaround, since I can only automate the delay time of the second scatter, or am I missing something here?

I’m afraid I don’t understand. Can’t you automate the scatterer instrument’s spawn rate property? What happens when you try?

My bad, I am in the wrong thread to ask; I misinterpreted the original post. I was trying to find a way to automate or modulate the delay time before a sound is played.

There is no way to automate or modulate an instrument’s delay interval at this time. I’ll add this suggestion to our feature/improvement tracker.

A potential workaround is to add a Delay effect to the track the instrument is on, set its dry level to -oo dB, and then automate its Delay property. This technique affects everything on the track, however, and may produce artefacts if you ramp the property value while the event is playing, so it won’t be suitable in all circumstances.

Thanks! That would be useful, for sure. Regarding your workaround suggestion, I thought of the same thing and tried it thinking the artefacts caused by changing parameters was going to make this workaround inferior, but for my current purpose it actually sounds quite alright.