BusNotFoundException: [FMOD] Bus not found 'bus:/' when pausing the editor

I have Fmod setup in my project, playing the sounds requested, but when pausing the editor, I get the following error:
BusNotFoundException: [FMOD] Bus not found ‘bus:/’
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetBus (System.String path) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:1280)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils.HandleOnPausedModeChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs:178)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PauseStateChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) (at :0)

And my events aren’t paused and keep playing while the editor is paused.
I’m on version 2.00.05, 64-bit, Build #105402. (I had the same error on previous version I was using, but I can’t find what version is was, although it was above 2.00 already.)

Additionally, it may or may not be related, but RuntimeManager.PauseAllEvents and RuntimeManager.MuteAllEvents don’t seem to have any effect.
Last detail: the sound also keeps playing when dragging a window in the editor for example (which may be normal, but is annoying to me since my music is synced on unity’s Time so it has to resync each time I do something like dragging an inspector window).

Hi! Anything I could check in my setup or something to have an idea where this comes from and why it won’t work? Past issues in this forum with this error seemed to be due to an incorrect project path setup, but my sounds are playing correctly, so I guess that’s not my issue.

Sorry to bump this again, but I really don’t know where to look to fix that :confused:
Banks are loaded without issue, my events are playing fine, I can change their volume, timeline position and other parameters, and yet RuntimeManager.PauseAllEvents(pause) and RuntimeManager.MuteAllEvents(mute) have no effect, which I guess is not normal. I could probably do that manually on all events one by one, but that seems a bit too much since those functions exist, and also it wouldn’t fix that error I have when pausing the Unity editor.

Apologies for the delay, my first suggestion would be to update to a newer of FMOD as we are currently up to 2.00.18 and it’s possibly fixed in that.

Are you able to share your entire output log at all?

Hi Cameron, thanks for your answer!

I updated FMOD Studio and FMOD for Unity to 2.01.09 ( FMOD Engine isn’t needed to use in Unity, right?), updated my project accordingly, but I still have the same issues.

Here are the logs I see:

FMOD Studio: Creating editor system instance
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils:CreateSystem() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs:234)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils:get_System() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs:311)
FMODUnity.EventManager:UpdateCache() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:144)
FMODUnity.EventManager:RefreshBanks() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:30)
FMODUnity.EventManager:Startup() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:458)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()

FMOD: Cache updated.
FMODUnity.EventManager:UpdateCache() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:316)
FMODUnity.EventManager:RefreshBanks() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:30)
FMODUnity.EventManager:Startup() (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs:458)

Right when I pause the editor:

BusNotFoundException: [FMOD] Bus not found 'bus:/'
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetBus (System.String path) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:1280)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils.HandleOnPausedModeChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs:178)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PauseStateChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) (at <c20d605ee644487b90e150b34bb0553e>:0)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

And the same when I unpause the editor.

And PauseAllEvents and MuteAllEvents still have no effect.

I tried to change the log level to Log, which gets me a bunch of logs before the ones above:

[FMOD] System::create : Header version = 2.01.09. Current version = 2.01.09.

UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, LogOption, String, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:DEBUG_CALLBACK(DEBUG_FLAGS, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:45)
FMOD.Studio.System:FMOD_Studio_System_Create(IntPtr&, UInt32)
FMOD.Studio.System:create(System&) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\wrapper\fmod_studio.cs:387)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:Initialize() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:235)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:get_Instance() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:102)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:get_StudioSystem() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:125)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:AddListener(StudioListener) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:398)
FMODUnity.StudioListener:OnEnable() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\StudioListener.cs:20)

(Filename: Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs Line: 45)

[FMOD] SystemI::setOutputInternal : Setting output to 'FMOD WASAPI Output'

FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:DEBUG_CALLBACK(DEBUG_FLAGS, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:45)
FMOD.System:FMOD5_System_SetOutput(IntPtr, OUTPUTTYPE)
FMOD.System:setOutput(OUTPUTTYPE) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\wrapper\fmod.cs:950)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:Initialize() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:241)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:get_Instance() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:102)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:get_StudioSystem() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:125)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:AddListener(StudioListener) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:398)
FMODUnity.StudioListener:OnEnable() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\StudioListener.cs:20)

[FMOD] Manager::init : maxchannels = 1024 studioflags = 00000009 flags 00000000 extradriverdata 0000000000000000.

FMOD.Studio.System:FMOD_Studio_System_Initialize(IntPtr, Int32, INITFLAGS, INITFLAGS, IntPtr)
FMOD.Studio.System:initialize(Int32, INITFLAGS, INITFLAGS, IntPtr) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\wrapper\fmod_studio.cs:412)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:Initialize() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:287)

[FMOD] SystemI::init : Initialize version=20109 (115889), maxchannels=1024, flags=0x00030000

FMOD.Studio.System:FMOD_Studio_System_Initialize(IntPtr, Int32, INITFLAGS, INITFLAGS, IntPtr)
FMOD.Studio.System:initialize(Int32, INITFLAGS, INITFLAGS, IntPtr) (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\wrapper\fmod_studio.cs:412)
FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:Initialize() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:287)

[FMOD] OutputWASAPI::init : Mix Format (WAVEFORMATEX): wFormatTag=0xFFFE, nChannels=2, nSamplesPerSec=48000, nAvgBytesPerSec=384000, nBlockAlign=8, wBitsPerSample=32, cbSize=22.

[FMOD] OutputWASAPI::init : Mix Format (WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE): wValidBitsPerSample=32, dwChannelMask=0x00000003, SubFormat=00000003-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71.

[FMOD] OutputWASAPI::init : Output buffer size: 4096 samples, latency: 0.00ms, period: 10.00ms, DSP buffer: 1024 * 4

[FMOD] Thread::initThread : Init FMOD stream thread. Affinity: 0x8000000000000003, Priority: 0xFFFF7FFB, Stack Size: 98304, Semaphore: No, Sleep Time: 10, Looping: Yes.

[FMOD] SystemI::DSPCodecPoolRegister : register codec pool for pool type 5

[FMOD] Thread::initThread : Init FMOD mixer thread. Affinity: 0x8000000000000001, Priority: 0xFFFF7FFA, Stack Size: 81920, Semaphore: No, Sleep Time: 0, Looping: Yes.

[FMOD] AsyncManager::init : manager 00000191BF9D9CE8 isAsync 1 updatePeriod 0.02

[FMOD] Thread::initThread : Init FMOD Studio update thread. Affinity: 0x8000000000000002, Priority: 0xFFFF7FFD, Stack Size: 98304, Semaphore: No, Sleep Time: 1, Looping: No.

[FMOD] AsyncManager::init : done

[FMOD] PlaybackSystem::init : 

[FMOD] Thread::initThread : Init FMOD Studio sample load thread. Affinity: 0x8000000000000003, Priority: 0xFFFF7FFD, Stack Size: 98304, Semaphore: No, Sleep Time: 1, Looping: No.

[FMOD] PlaybackSystem::init : done

[FMOD] LiveUpdate::init : 

[FMOD] Thread::initThread : Init FMOD Studio bank load thread. Affinity: 0x8000000000000003, Priority: 0xFFFF7FFD, Stack Size: 98304, Semaphore: No, Sleep Time: 1, Looping: No.

[FMOD] Manager::init : done.

[FMOD] Profile::init : Profiler listening on port: 9264

Loaded scene 'Temp/__Backupscenes/0.backup'
	Deserialize:            1972.553 ms
	Integration:            1107.470 ms
	Integration of assets:  16.025 ms
	Thread Wait Time:       6.273 ms
	Total Operation Time:   3102.321 ms
FMOD Studio: Creating editor system instance
FMODUnity.EditorUtils:CreateSystem() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EditorUtils.cs:234)
FMODUnity.EditorUtils:get_System() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EditorUtils.cs:311)
FMODUnity.EventManager:UpdateCache() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:144)
FMODUnity.EventManager:RefreshBanks() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:30)
FMODUnity.EventManager:Startup() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:458)

(Filename: Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EditorUtils.cs Line: 234)

Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 2.55 ms, found 4 plugins.
Preloading 0 native plugins for Editor in 0.00 ms.
FMOD: Cache updated.
FMODUnity.EventManager:UpdateCache() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:316)
FMODUnity.EventManager:RefreshBanks() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:30)
FMODUnity.EventManager:Startup() (at Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EventManager.cs:458)

(Filename: Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Editor/EventManager.cs Line: 316)

Switch from biome null to MineralStop-05-LastCave, fadeIn 0,5 and out 0 - 10 / 1,149055
SoundManager:ApplyBiomeSwitch() (at Assets\Scripts\Sound\SoundManager.cs:255)
SoundManager:OnGameStart() (at Assets\Scripts\Sound\SoundManager.cs:153)
GameEvents:GameStart() (at Assets\Scripts\GameEvents.cs:44)
<StartGame>d__83:MoveNext() (at Assets\Scripts\GameManager.cs:460)
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename: Assets/Scripts/Sound/SoundManager.cs Line: 255)

BusNotFoundException: [FMOD] Bus not found 'bus:/'
  at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetBus (System.String path) [0x00019] in D:\Unity\oqo\Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Runtime\RuntimeManager.cs:1280 
  at FMODUnity.EditorUtils.HandleOnPausedModeChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) [0x00015] in D:\Unity\oqo\Assets\Plugins\FMOD\src\Editor\EditorUtils.cs:178 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`1[UnityEditor.PauseState].invoke_void_T(UnityEditor.PauseState)
  at UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PauseStateChanged (UnityEditor.PauseState state) [0x00024] in <c20d605ee644487b90e150b34bb0553e>:0 
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:set_isPaused(Boolean)
UnityEditor.Toolbar:DoPlayButtons(Boolean)
UnityEditor.Toolbar:OldOnGUI()
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoOnGUI(Event, Matrix4x4, Rect, Boolean, Rect, Action, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleIMGUIEvent(Event, Matrix4x4, Rect, Action, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleIMGUIEvent(Event, Action, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleIMGUIEvent(Event, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:SendEventToIMGUI(EventBase, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleEvent(EventBase)
UnityEngine.UIElements.CallbackEventHandler:HandleEventAtTargetPhase(EventBase)
UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseCaptureDispatchingStrategy:DispatchEvent(EventBase, IPanel)
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:ApplyDispatchingStrategies(EventBase, IPanel, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:ProcessEvent(EventBase, IPanel)
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:ProcessEventQueue()
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:OpenGate()
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcherGate:Dispose()
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:ProcessEvent(EventBase, IPanel)
UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher:Dispatch(EventBase, IPanel, DispatchMode)
UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel:SendEvent(EventBase, DispatchMode)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:DoDispatch(BaseVisualElementPanel)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

What version of Unity are you using?

If you are manually loading the FMOD banks, the master bus won’t be created until the master bank has been loaded.

I’m using Unity 2019.4.12f1.
I am indeed manually loading the banks, but Master is the first one loaded (then several others are loaded in the same frame), then the game waits until

RuntimeManager.IsInitialized && !RuntimeManager.AnyBankLoading()

and the events from Master (as well as the other banks) are played correctly.

I have created a few groups in the Routing Window, some events are still at the root. I have no VCAs, and I haven’t done anything special in the Mixing Desk, I can see the master bust on the right with its fader.

I have not been able to reproduce the issue myself, are you able to share a project that does reproduce this? You can upload it to your FMOD Profile.

Thank you for taking the time to try and reproduce that. I’ll try to see if I can repro that in a minimal project (the one I’m working on is quite large).

While trying to repro in a minimal environment, I ended up finding what was wrong: not only do I have to load the Master bank, I also have to load the Master.strings bank. I didn’t realized that sooner because I create all my event instances with their guid instead of their path (but in my minimal project I quickly saw something was wrong when trying to create instances with their path without loading Master.strings).

Thank you for your time.
I’m not sure I fully understand how this works, but I guess Master.strings only contains events info and not actual samples, so maybe someday it could be automatically loaded so you don’t get more confused users like me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad you were able to find the solution. Apologies, I probably should have mentioned this when I spoke about the master bank, it is also mentioned in our docs.

Studio GUIDs and Paths

Many functions in the FMOD Studio API allow you to identify an object within an FMOD Studio project by the object’s path. Objects can only be identified by path if the project’s strings bank is loaded.

1 Like

I think the thing that got me is that I’m not using paths myself, it’s only when some hidden usages of paths are made by the FMOD Unity’s integration that this error occurred. Since internal code needs paths to work, I still think this string bank could be loaded automatically. (Also admittedly I didn’t read the entire glossary ^^’)
(Edit: I also realized it looks like I’m the only one to have ever ran into this confusion, so it’s probably not a big deal anyway ^^’)