Clarity on distributing lib .so files

There is a project that allows for a purchased copy of Celeste to be played on arm64 machines.
Now it requires the two files “libfmod.so.13.23” and “libfmodL.so13.23” to run properly. They are located in the “dmodstudioapi2023linux” download under the “api\core\lib\arm64 folder”. My questions is that is it acceptable to distribute these two .so files?

I have scoured this forum and seen conflicting answers. Some say lib files or api files are ok to distribute as long as you are not sharing the whole api and you make sure to clarify where these files are coming from and link back to the fmod site. While other answers seem to say no, you can only share the dll fmod files that are in a compiled game.

I’m not sure where this issue would fall under because the game already has the fmod license and is not being modified. The two lib files are only required to allow it to be played on a different device. I appreciate any clarification that someone by bring to this question.

.dll and .so distribution is fine, this is typically how you release a game.

The API stuff is regarding people who want to use fmod in opensource and need to recompile source code which involves bringing in a lot more files, like header files, lib files which we dont want distributed.

1 Like