Dependency on absent Media Foundation dlls

Apparently building an app against fmod dlls creates a dependency on mfplat.dll (and mfreadwrite.dll) of Microsoft Media Foundation. This becomes a problem when MMF is absent, as it is in some Windows editions. The app window closes immediately after launch, and no explanation is given to the user. Digging around reveals a system error:

The code execution cannot proceed because MFPlat.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

As far as I can tell none of our code is executed by that point, not seeing how to approach fixing this. Is there (/will be) a configuration switch or an option I am missing that would allow the app to start when a dependency dll is not present, even if with no sound?

mfplat.dll is a dependency of our UWP build of FMOD, firstly can you confirm you are building a Windows 10 UWP app? For normal Windows desktop applications use our Windows build instead.

If you are building a UWP app, can you share which version of Windows is missing the dependent mfplat.dll?

Yes, it is an UWP app. And I have been testing on Windows N.

Thanks for the info, after doing some reading I can see Windows N does not have any support for Windows Media Foundation, which FMOD uses and has a dependency on. To get a Windows N machine working you will need to install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N.

I will add a task to our backlog to investigate making our use of Media Foundation optional.