Effect bypass automation function plans?

Hi there!

I was just wondering if there was any plans to introduce a bypass function that can be automated in your events in the near future?

I think this would be a great addition that many people would appreciate and could really add more depth to event design.

Cheers!

Would it really allow some things that we can’t actually do with snapshots, or automation on effect settings?

Yes. This feature is already in our feature and improvement tracker. I’ll add you to the list of interested parties.

Yes and no. It is true that effect bypass automation won’t allow you to achieve entirely new audible behaviors.

However, it will also make certain common event behaviors much easier to implement and maintain - much as magnet regions make it much easier to implement and maintain behaviors that could potentially also be achieved by using transition regions.

In addition, bypassing an effect stops that effect from using CPU time and memory to process the signal. Being able to automate effect bypass would therefore be useful for resource management.

1 Like

Can you please add me too, @joseph ?

I’ve been looking for threads like this, and I’m interested as well. Automating bypassing of effects seems like a really useful and efficient feature to have for the reasons you described. To add greater flexibility and versatility to creative effects processing without things sucking up cycles when they aren’t being heard.

Also along those lines and based on an earlier thread you replied to Managing Pitch Shift Plugin CPU resources , is the pitch shifter still considered quite expensive? I see references dating back to over a decade ago, but computers and mobile devices have relatively gotten a lot faster since then, so color me curious. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your insights.

Sure thing.

As you say, resource budgets have increased over the years, but the pitch shifter still consumes more resources than most other effects, and is still one of the most expensive effects that we have.

This is unlikely to change. Adjusting pitch independently of playback speed is a computationally-expensive activity. We optimize it as much as we can, of course, but we optimize everything else, too - and an optimized expensive activity is still more expensive than an optimized cheap activity.

You’re right that audio resource budgets are higher today than they were ten years ago. It’s hard to say that that makes the pitch shifter effect more affordable, though. Expectations have risen to match resource budgets, so there’s still good reason to avoid expensive effects in favor of cheaper ones in many cases.

1 Like

bypassing an effect stops that effect from using CPU time and memory to process the signal. Being able to automate effect bypass would therefore be useful for resource management.

+1 for me being another interested party. I’m currently working on a project that will likely have upwards of 11-15 effects on a track, with only one or 2 being active a single time. Being able to dynamically turn off the other 9 that aren’t active would be great for resource management.

Sure thing. I’ve added you to the list.

1 Like

+1 for me being another interested person. I’m developing an educational sound game and it would be great to select different sound effects and bypassing the rest.

Thanks

Sure thing! I’ve added you to the list.

Can you add me as well? Being able to bypass a preset effect chain in the options menu would be incredibly useful for an accessibility feature I want to implement in one of my projects.

I can and shall.

Add me as well, interested from a performance perspective.

No problem. I’ll add you now.

You can add me as well! Would be very useful for my project.

Sure thing.