Error with Steamaudio and FMOD

Unity: 2018.4.29
FMOD: 2.01.05
SteamAudio: 2.0-beta.19

SteamAudio and FMOD seem to disagree on where the phonon.dll and phonon_fmod.dll should be located. SteamAudio documentation tells us to add the files according to the FMOD documentation:
SteamAudio Docs
FMOD Docs

Using the SteamAudio FMOD unitypackage you end up with the dll’s under:
Assets\Plugins\x86_64

I got duplicate warnings just from following the documentation:

Multiple plugins with the same name 'phonon' (found at 'Assets/Plugins/FMOD/lib/win/x86_64/phonon.dll' and 'Assets/Plugins/x86_64/phonon.dll'). That means one or more plugins are set to be compatible with Editor.

Additionally, FMOD is looking for the SteamAudio dll files under:
“Assets\Plugins\FMOD\lib\win\x86_64”

SystemNotInitializedException: [FMOD] Initialization failed : Loading plugin 'phonon_fmod' from 'C:/x/x/x/x/Assets/Plugins/FMOD/lib/win/X86_64/phonon_fmod.dll' : ERR_FILE_NOTFOUND : File not found.

I have tried to manually disable the DLL’s from “Assets\Plugins\x86_64”
and set “Assets\Plugins\FMOD\lib\win\x86_64” as the custom plugins directory in FMOD.

Doing this got me sound and panning, but no distance, occlusion etc…
I have a Studio Listener and Steam Audio Listener on the player.
I have the Studio Event Emitter and Steam Audio Source component on another object.

I’m left with this error and have no clue what to do next.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object SteamAudio.FMODAudioEngineSource.BindToFMODStudioPlugin () (at Assets/SteamAudio/AudioEngineSource_FMODStudio.cs:38) SteamAudio.FMODAudioEngineSource.FindDSP (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at Assets/SteamAudio/AudioEngineSource_FMODStudio.cs:66) SteamAudio.FMODAudioEngineSource.Initialize (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at Assets/SteamAudio/AudioEngineSource_FMODStudio.cs:26) SteamAudio.SteamAudioSource.Awake () (at Assets/SteamAudio/SteamAudioSource.cs:43) [FMOD] PostLoad::initPluginEffects : DSP plugin returned an error, bank will not load properly. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object) FMODUnity.RuntimeManager:DEBUG_CALLBACK(DEBUG_FLAGS, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) (at Assets/Plugins/FMOD/src/Runtime/RuntimeManager.cs:32)

Solution:

Copy the necessary DLL files from “Assets\Plugins\x86_64”
To “Assets\Plugins\FMOD\lib\win\x86_64”

Replace some code: