[Steam audio] Error loading Phonon.dll plugin

Hello,
We are trying to use steam audio spatialiser for our project but seem to be unable to load the plug in on Fmod Studio 1.10.10.
Already copied following files into the project plugins folder: phonon.dll, phonon_fmod.dll, phonon_fmod.plugin.js
The plugin looks fine but produces no audio: 15:15:02 fmod_pluginfactory.cpp(583), PluginFactory::loadPlugin(): No FMOD symbols found in dynamic library ‘D:/Game Dev/Project name/Assets/Fmod-RON/Plugins/phonon.dll’
15:15:02 Error loading plugin D:/Game Dev/Project name/Assets/Fmod-RON/Plugins/phonon.dll: Error loading file.
Using x64 version of a plugin. Log.txt (4.7 KB) Full logs here attached.

This means that it is not a plugin that FMOD recognizes, make sure you are using the correct plugin files from https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/downloads.html.

I am also having this problem. Versions FMOD 2.0.08 and Steam Audio beta-18.

It looks like the Steam Audio plugin is only made for FMOD 1.10 at this point and will not work with 2.0 or 2.1.

You will need to contact Valve if you would like them to update it.

1 Like

Tried using FMOD Studio 1.10 and 2.1 as well, still the same message.
Steam Audio FMOD Studio Plugin 2.0-beta.19

FMOD CONSOLE:

21:59:12 fmod_pluginfactory.cpp(583), PluginFactory::loadPlugin(): No FMOD symbols found in dynamic library 'C:/Users/PC/Documents/FMOD Studio/TestSceneOldFmod/Plugins/phonon.dll' 
21:59:12 Error loading plugin C:/Users/PC/Documents/FMOD Studio/TestSceneOldFmod/Plugins/phonon.dll: Error loading file. 

Other plugin phonon_fmod seems to work just fine. I also noticed that when I set Occlusion Mode in Steam Audio Spatializer to disabled and delete Steam Audio Mixer Return on Master Bus I can hear audio event.

You only need to add “phonon_fmod” to the list of plugins as mentioned in their docs:
https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/doc/phonon_fmod.html#adding-steam-audio-to-fmod-studio-in-unity

1 Like

Just throwing it out there for anyone who gets it in the future, because it happened to me as well:

It might be your project path being
a) too long
b) residing in a OneDrive folder

that trips FMOD and it can’t load the symbols. Mine was in a rather long OneDrive path, and moving it to a shorter one inside on of the HDDs solved it.