Event browser in Unity stopped working

Hey everyone,

we recently updated to FMOD Studio 2.01.10 and it was working fine until at some point the event browser in Unity stopped working. Whenever you click on the play button in an event in the browser, nothing happens. The show event button works normally, opening the selected event in Studio. There is nothing relevant in the console in Unity. We are using Unity 2019.4.15.f1 . Any thoughts?

Thanks

Are those same events playing fine outside of the Event Browser / in-game? One thing to check is that any global parameters on your mixer have a sensible default value- at one point I had a global parameter controlling the volume of the master bus with a default value of 0 and that resulted in a silent Event Browser.
Otherwise, you could try attaching a debugger and adding breakpoints inside FMODUnity.EditorUtils.PreviewEvent to see if that gets called and if it’s failing to get a guid or create a previewEventInstance or something like that.

I work with @rmuller and yes, the events work fine in-game and in FMOD Studio itself. They just do not work in the event browser window in the Unity editor, which messes up our content workflow quite a bit.

I’m fairly certain there are no global parameters controlling the master volume, given that events work anywhere else without setting any parameters.

And incidentally like you have suggested I have been messing with the FMODUnity.EditorUtils.PreviewEvent method to see if I can find where the problem is. So far I have determined that while the events are given a valid handle, their path is set to nothing, which is strange to say the least. It is like they are loaded, but not really.

I’m going to be investigating further to see if I can find more. Any further insights are very much welcome.

UPDATE: We have solved the issue.

The problem was a tool some other programmer of our team made that was overwriting the EditorApplication.update property instead of adding a call back to it.

The problematic code was basically this:

EditorApplication.update = Callback;

When it should be:

EditorApplication.update += Callback;

Good to hear, thank you for sharing the solution!