FMOD Unity integration crash with ResonanceAudio

Hi, me and my team are experiencing a crash in our game (in editor, and in our release builds)
Unity crashes to desktop without any error message or log, however windows event viewer shows this:

Faulting application name: Unity.exe, version: 2018.3.12.64867, time stamp: 0x5ca7b142
Faulting module name: resonanceaudio.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5be28099
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000638b1
Faulting process id: 0x19d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61ed45fc67018
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.12f1\Editor\Unity.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\####\Documents\####\Assets\Plugins\FMOD\lib\win\X86_64\resonanceaudio.dll
Report Id: 72b2e663-eb78-4ac8-8ec6-ca69716879d6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Sure enough after removing resonance audio from all our events it has fixed the issue, and the game runs much more stable.
The timing of this crash is mostly random, but I found that I can sometimes cause it to happen if I just create many sounds, so I’ve been doing that to debug the cause but have had no luck so far.
The strange thing is, after I’ve spammed sounds and they have all been released, unity (and the FMOD profiler) show the dsp to be at 100%, whereas without resonanceaudio the dsp goes back down to 2-3% after the events have been released.

Some other info, we’re using:
Unity 2018.3.12f1
Fmod 2.00.08 (integration & FMOD studio)
VRTK 3.3 with SteamVR
Most of us are using Windows 10, and oculus rift CV1/ HTC vive.

We’ve had a bunch of us developers experience the crash (but not all), and a bunch of our users as well.

I’ve seen a few topics mentioning a similar issue and none seem to have been fully resolved. We’re pretty much all out of ideas at this point and are looking into ditching resonance audio and finding another 3rd party solution, but I thought I would post here as a last resort.

Hello,

We have a fix scheduled for the next release of FMOD that looks like it may solve the crash issue.

Additionally, resonance audio is an open source project - https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio - and we are looking to push the fix back into the project - https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio/pull/32. You are able to build your own version of the plugin - we keep our own build instructions for the fmod plugin - https://github.com/resonance-audio/resonance-audio/blob/master/platforms/fmod/BuildingResonanceAudio.md - that we update as necessary.

Hope that helps
Tristan

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response!

I will have a look into building the DLLs manually from that project/ PR then to see if it fixes our issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve built the DLLs from that PR you sent and already it seems much more stable! I can’t say for sure that the crash is gone yet, we need to test for a bit longer, but from what I’ve seen it appears to be stable.

The DSP % goes back down to ~5% instead of staying around 90-100% after spamming sounds and releasing them.
And audio no longer gets jittery long after spamming sounds and releasing them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to help, and great to hear that it seems to be working well.