LPF Distance Attenuation

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to use the spatializer effect to attenuate an emitter using a LPF curve in addition to the volume curve that is available? Or does this curve take the frequencies into consideration as well?

Hi Daniel,

The built in spatializers only attenuate the volume and don’t touch the frequencies.

You can add a built-in Distance parameter to the event(s) in question. You can then add a multiband EQ to the master track and automate a lowpass based off the distance from the listener. The built-in parameters take their values automatically from the game world so you should be able to hear your changes in game without needing to set anything else up (and test it in the 3D preview or Sandbox).

Thanks,
Richard

Is the “Multiband EQ” preferable to use over the “Distance Filter” effect when it comes to applying HP/LP filtering? I.e. are they equally CPU efficient?

If I use the Multiband EQ, I would sometimes do HP distance filtering in addition to LP, but I tend to only do HP filtering when necessary (so as not to waste CPU). I figure having both an LP and HP filter on an event would increase the CPU usage of that event, but maybe that’s not the case, or the performance hit would be negligible? Also is there a CPU usage difference between an LP/HP filter that’s 12dB, 24dB and/or 48dB?

Sorry if all this is covered in the manual. I can’t seem to find anything that describes all the effects and their relative CPU & RAM implication.

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,

The multiband EQ has roughly the same performance as a single highpass/lowpass filter effect but with a lot of added bonuses. The multiband EQ has more control over how the filter is applied (boosting/cutting more finely) whilst also having multiple bands within one module rather than multiple highpass/lowpass modules in the deck. There’s no CPU usage difference between filters that are 12dB, 24dB and/or 48dB.

Thanks,
Richard

Great! Thanks a lot, Richard. Looking forward to using that exclusively going forward.

Thank you!