Play sound in Editor for subtitle tagging

I’m building a simple Unity extension that lets me timestamp audio files.
The use case I’m working on is to add subtitles to a voiceover.
It’s currently working fine for Unity’s normal audio system, but the project is using FMOD also.
Meaning I don’t actually have the VO clips in my project unless I explicitly add them for tagging, which is a bit annoying.

Is there a way to get access to the functions (play, get and set time/position, and display a waveform) that the Event Browser uses, so that I can build my own extension on top of it?

I’ve done some digging, and was able to figure out how the Event Browser works.

The following code lets me play an event in the editor (after making EditorUtils public)

var e = EventManager.EventFromPath("event:/vo/Deria/VO_Deria_001");
FMODUnity.EditorUtils.PreviewEvent(e, null);

But I would need to be able to set a specific time for it to play. This function isn’t available in the Event Browser, so I can’t reverse engineer it, but can I access it some other way?

You might be better off creating your own FMOD System to use in the editor, it may be too difficult trying to poke around in the integrations editor code, otherwise you will have to start modifying things.

I’m not super sure what it means to make my own FMOD System, do you have any resources to point me at?

https://fmod.com/resources/documentation-api?version=2.0&page=studio-guide.html#creating-the-studio-system is a good place to start. You can have up to 8 separate FMOD Systems running at a time.