Possible to use resonance room effects (reverb) with 2D stereo sounds?

Hello! I was wondering if it is possible to use resonance audio room effects (reverb) with 2D stereo sounds. For example, player gunshots/foley in a first person game.

All I need from resonance in this situation are the reverb values where the camera is so that the player sounds fit in with the 3D sounds by having matching reverb but otherwise still play as a normal stereo 2D sounds with no spatialization. Is this possible?

I suppose I could send those sounds to their own reverb bus but I don’t know how easy it would be to match resonance audio’s reverb settings as all of the C# code gets passed into the DSP black box and I doubt I’d be able to reverse engineer what “concrete block coarse” does by ear lol.

Hi,

I believe so, if you turn off the Distance Attenuation on the Resonance Audio Sounce Source and set the Min & Max Distance in the event macros to 0 - 10k
would this provide the behavior you are looking for?

Sorry for the super late reply, got caught up in other parts of the project.

I tried that but unfortunately the audio outputs as mono. The source sound has obvious stereo left/right channel differences for testing and I can see even on the resonance audio source input that the levels show the stereo differences, but the output is still always mono. Increasing the Spread value also does not give true stereo output. I can move it around in 3D space and hear stereo differences so it isn’t that everything is mixing down to mono, I just can’t get a resonance audio source to play a file’s stereo channels without mixing them down to mono first. In the normal FMOD spatializer you could just use the distance parameter to blend to 2D but that does not seem to be an option on the resonance spatializer.

No worries, thanks for trying that. As this is an issue with the resonance audio plugin I would suggest posting in their forums: Issues · resonance-audio/resonance-audio · GitHub.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, the GitHub is archived and Resonance does not seem likely to get any further updates. The reverb rooms also had issues that kept them from working. Therefore, I have decided to instead just use Resonance as a reference and recreate its functionality using stock FMOD features which will be much more reliable and future-proof.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your solution. If you have any issues with the FMOD spatializer, please let me know.