Reccurring Sandbox Issue

Hi Fmod.

I am experiencing a recurring problem using the Sandbox in FMOD Studio 1.09.01. I have written to you previously regarding this (I thought I had fixed the issue by dragging my events and assets into a new project but the problem has returned and persisted since the 1.08.13 update ) .

Previous message:

"Hi there.
I am using FMOD Studio 1.08.13 on the mac and have an issue in using the sandbox preview function.
Whenever I try to drag a newly created event item into the window from the sandbox event list, I get an error popup stating:

“An error occurred while trying to create an event instance for event:/SFX/UI/Count
Check that this event has been built to a bank”

This has only started happening recently (in the last week) and I am certain that the events have been assigned and built correctly into the main bank.
I have checked in my Unity build and can access the event and bank from there, which leads me to believe it has been built correctly. I have also ensured that all of the events with this error, DO NOT have the “Unnassigned” (bank related) message attached on the event.
If I create a brand new FMOD project the Sandbox behaviour is fine and works as expected. I can add newly created events to the sandbox and they work fine. Also, If I copy and paste the previously not working event into a new project and build, it works fine.
This only seems to happen on newly added events as all of my previously created events work fine in the sandbox.
I have tried multiple builds and reboots of FMOD and am at a total loss as to why this is happening."

What would be the difference between the behaviour of older events and newer events in the Sandbox?

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This is happening because the Sandbox mode can only use built banks to audition sounds. While you may have assigned the new Events to the Master Bank, you will need to run File > Build again in order to access them in Sandbox mode.

Could you please try building the Banks each time before running Sandbox mode and let me know if this issue persists?

Thanks,
Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard, thanks for your fast response.

The behaviour I am experiencing does seem as if the banks need to be rebuilt. However, I don’t think this is the case as I have repeatedly tried to build, then audition events in the Sandbox, but I still get the error. It feels as if Fmod is stuck in a weird (behind the scenes state) in which it thinks the project has not been built hence the message it displays when i build and try to audition newer events in the sandbox.

For further clarification, when I refer to events as being “new or newer” I actually mean they were created after the 1.08.13 update in which I started noticing this problem.

Because of our pipeline, I tend to build multiple times a day and feel like I am using the sandbox correctly in this sense. I have been using FMOD for the last couple of years and feel like something odd has snuck in somewhere.

For my own sanity, I have just done a build and then tried to audition in the way FMOD requires (and you have suggested), but the behaviour is the same as above.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the update. Could I double check with you that you are closing the Sandbox window before/after building the new Banks?

This is due to a limitation with Live Update where newly added audio will not be passed over without restarting the Sandbox mode.

So the workflow should be:

Add/Create Events → Close Sandbox if open → Build → Sandbox

Please let me know if this is working for you, if not we’ll escalate it further.

Thanks,
Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard.

I am closing the Sandbox window before/after new events are created, and my workflow follows your workflow as detailed above. I still get the same problem occurring when trying to audition new events.

Some more additional information. If I start a brand new project, and create new events, auditioning in the Sandbox works fine (I tried transferring all of the events from the non functioning into a new project, and the problem returned)

I have also done a project validation, and Fmod shows no errors.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the last thing to check is to ensure that you have your Platform set to Desktop at the bottom of your project.

If you still experience this issue please drop us an email as we may need to take a look at your project.

Thanks,
Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard. Yep, that sorted the auditioning issue. Switching the platform to Desktop then building the project worked a treat.Thanks very much for taking me through the steps.

So is it my understanding that the mobile platform cannot be used to audition unless a desktop version has been built first? When I witch back to mobile, after a desktop build, all of the previously “not working” events seem to now work.

Does FMOD Studio not update the mobile build (for sandbox usage) in quite the same way, or am I working in a weird hybrid fashion in which I’ve got one foot in the Desktop and one in the Mobile?

Thanks Ryan

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

Yes, the Sandbox uses the built Desktop banks in order to work properly.

When you set the Platform at the bottom right of your FMOD Studio Project, that is the only platform that gets built when you click File > Build.

Make sure that you have a Desktop in your Build platforms Preferences, and use File > Build All to update all platforms’ banks before using the Sandbox.

Thanks,
Richard