Shape of audio emitter?

Hi. I am using Unity.
I have a project where I want the sound to have a cone like shape. Coming from the ceiling and pointing down at the floor. Just imagine a lamp in the ceiling shining down on the floor. I want a pretty narrow cone with a natural fall off once you step outside the cone area.

In unreal you can shape your audio emitters (cone, circle etc) and point them in specific directions.

How can I do this with fmod? I have read the manual and read about the spatializer and its direction/extent, but can’t seem to get the wanted behaviour.

Any tips or tricks?
Thanks

Hi,

What you’re looking for is the Event Cone Angle built-in parameter, which gives you the angle between the direction the event is facing, and the direction the listener is in. You can use this to automate your event properties - in this case, you’ll probably want to automate a fader to control the volume. For example, based on the behavior you’ve described, what you’re trying to do might look like this:

ECA

The only other thing to note is that Event Cone Angle only considers the horizontal plane - to have a “vertical cone”, in Unity you’ll need to rotate the Emitter to face downwards.

Awesome. Thanks!

1 Like