Studio API for interactive site

Apologies for hitting the forum with what must be elementary, but:

I’m doing a sound design job for a custom website. The ask is for an interactive soundscape with some parameters changing based on cursor position. I have it all figured out WITHIN Fmod Studio, but beyond that, I’m lost. How do I export it? What format will it be? How will the developers implement the API?

The closest I’ve come to showing them the build are screen recordings and bouncing the Studio output to a WAV. No idea what to ultimately deliver them as a usable build file.

I don’t code. Can anyone dumb it down for me or point me to the right yt channel?

FMOD 2.02.18 64-bit
Macbook M1 Pro
Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

The typical arrangement is that you would set up the desired audio behavior in the FMOD Studio application. You then build this behavior and the assets that are being played to banks with File → Build. These banks can then be loaded into an FMOD system using the API in order to play back the created audio behavior.

I’m not sure of the scope of the deliverables for this specific job, but the banks would be the key thing. If the developers wanted to make tweaks the the banks, they would need access to the FMOD Studio project so they can make changes and then rebuild the banks.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Youtube video on hand to point you at, but the HTML5 version of the FMOD Engine installer comes with a set of examples at “./api/studio/examples” that can be hosted in a web server, and should serve to demonstrate basic functionality of the FMOD Studio API in HTML5. The platform-specific HTML5 API documentation is also worth a read-through, as it provides important technical information about the API when it’s use on HTML5.

1 Like

Ok, this is helpful. Thank you! It seems to export three different banks though:

1. Bank A.bank
  2. Master.bank
  3. Master.Strings.bank

Is this normal/do I need all these or am I missing some setting?

This is normal. The master bank contains the structure of the mixer and project overall, and the master strings bank contains the paths and names of all events, buses, parameters, etc. in your project. “Bank A” will contain info on the structure of events that are assigned to it, as well as the sample data for any assets used by those events.

For more information, I would recommend reading over the Studio User Manual chapter on Getting Event into Your Game, and the FMOD Engine user manual section on Bank Layout.

1 Like

Amazing. Thank you.