Suggestion: seek speed on... everything!

We already talked about the limitation of discrete parameters for smoothly changing continuous values. An improvement is planned, from what I understood.

I think a great improvement, resolving this case as well as others, would be to have a configurable seek speed on continuous settings themselves (especially volume). The seek speed on the parameter causes some problems: while changing parameter value, we often want some things to happen immediately (trigger a sound, transition somewere else on the timeline) but have smooth automation transitions on continuous settings. If there were a seek speed on that settings (ie volume) in addition to the parameter seek speed, it would resolve all those problems, and allow a bunch of things.

9 Likes

You’ll be pleased to learn this is already on our feature/improvement tracker, though it hasn’t yet been scheduled for development. I’ve added your name to the list of people interested in this feature.

5 Likes

I’d definitely be interested in this feature too if you don’t mind adding my name :smiley:

Not at all! I’ve added your name to the list.

1 Like

Same here! Got lots of cases where this would be very useful.

I’ll add your name to the list.

This would be incredibly useful. Add me to the list!

Done.

1 Like

Joining the name party as well. Would love to see this

Very well, I’ll add you to the list.

Wow it’s been quite a while and I founud this thread… Would love to see this feature tooo!!! I’m in such desperate need of it!

I’ll add you to the list, then.

+1 seek speed on everything , especially volume!

Same with me! That would be awesome!

I’ll add you both to the list.

+1!

I’d love to use a labeled parameter to control a second continuous parameter (or just a property directly, like volume) based on a curve one can define. That, together with seek speed, would give a lot of flexibility.

FMOD Studio already allows you to automate a continuous parameter on a labelled parameter.

The kind of automation curve that you suggest is impossible, however. Labelled parameters are designed to have specific values. They do not have values “between” those values; to use your picture as an example, it is not possible to set the MyLabel parameter to any value between 0 and 1. This means that the custom curve shape between those two labels has no meaning.

Furthermore, even if interstitial values were supported, many labelled parameters represent sets of states where the state can change from any state to any other state without passing through a particular sequence. This would make a curve between two “adjacent” labels extremely limited in application.

If you want to create this kind of curve, you should use continuous parameters insterad of labelled parameters. Continuous parameters do represent values that are arranged in ascending order and support non-integer values, making the kind of control curve you describe feasible.

In any case, I’ve added you to the list of people who have requested seek speed as a modulator.

I’m also interested in this!

Aside, I don’t understand what this means:

automate a continuous parameter on a labelled parameter

Could you clarify that? Thank you!

I’ve added you to the list.

FMOD Studio has several different types of parameter that can be added to events, to represent different variables in your game. Continuous parameters represent floating point numbers, while labelled parameters represent collections of arbitrary states. Automatin is a tool by which a property’s value can be controlled by a parameter. “Automating a continuous parameter on a labelled parameter” therefore means creating automation that causes the value of a continuous parameter to be set differently depending on the value of a labelled parameter.

Ah, I didn’t realize you could have one parameter automate another parameter. Handy! Thanks!