Transition between 2 adjacent clips causes a click

Hi all,

Excuse my terminology, I’m just starting in FMOD so I may not get everything right.
I’m trying to create an event for a foghorn that can be controlled by the player. I created a sample in Cubase which consists of 2 parts: An attack and a looping part. I exported these 2 parts as 2 separate wave files (16-bit 44.1kHz).
If I import these 2 wave files back into Cubase and align them they transition smoothly.
However, if I add the two wave files to an audio track in FMOD Event Editor I hear a click right at the transition between the clips. When I zoom in on the waveform I can’t see anything wrong, they align perfectly.

What makes it even more interesting is that if I manually place the playhead somewhere else than at 0:00, this influences the click. In some positions it isn’t there anymore and the transition sounds fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

The 2nd clip loops fine without clicking if I make it a loop region.

Do the two sound files end and begin at a zero crossing?

1 Like

It’s a stereo file so while the left channel is at a zero crossing, the right channel isn’t.
The click is indeed in the right channel. However:

1. The waveform is continuous between the 2 clips, so there shouldn’t be a click.
  2. The final samples of both clips are identical and when looping the 2nd clip it doesn’t give a click.
    Interestingly enough when I copy the 2nd clip and paste it right behind the original the result also gives a click… Why does looping a clip sound different from playing the same clip twice in sequence?
1 Like

FMOD Studio is designed for use with audio files that begin and end with zero crossings. To avoid undesirable clicks, please use such files.

1 Like

Ok, that’s a little inconvenient but it’ll have to do. Thanks for your time!

1 Like