Trigger a certain amount of sounds depending on parameter

Hey!

I’m creating a system that will have small creatures chanting to a beat. I’m doing beat recognition in Unity and I’m going to trigger a chanting event in FMOD on every beat. Additionally, I have a parameter for chanting intensity. But the intensity is a bit complex, and I don’t know if I can set that up well in FMOD, or if I will have to code it in Unity.

I have 16 x timid creature sounds, 16 x mid intensity sounds and 16 x hyped creature sounds. As the intensity parameter increases, I want more and more creatures to join in. So at the lowest intensity, I would want to trigger 3 x timid chanting sounds simultaneously. As it increases, I would increase that to 4, then to 5, up to 8. Then I would start exchanging some of the timid sounds for mid intensity sounds (mixing low and mid sounds) so at some point we would have half timid ones and half mid ones and moving further until we have 8 mid ones, then start exchanging those for the high intensity sounds. So at the highest intensity for the parameter, I would trigger 8 random hyped chanting sounds at the same time on each beat. And of course, I would not want to trigger the same sound multiple times on a beat, so they all need to be unique.

I don’t really know how to go about doing this within FMOD, or if I have to just code it manually in Unity. I would love to be able to do it all in FMOD, and that way separate all the audio logic from the application logic, but I’m not sure if it’s possible, or if it is, maybe it’s way too complicated.

Any ideas on how to set this up?

BR,
Petter

Clearly, this has to be in the game code. I don’t think there’s a simple way to do that in FMOD.

Yeah, came to the same conclusion. I’ve built some similar structures in Wwise, but this seemed best to do in Unity.