Hi! I have a few conjoined FMOD Studio-Unity integration questions. I’d appreciate any help!
(1) Is there any special event naming convention I need to keep in mind? Like should I name events like “sfx_laser_zap_01” with underscores, or does Unity have no problem if I build a bank with spaces more like “SFX Laser Zap 01”?
(2) How is Live Update handled with iOS? I’m not clear on how that works, if I have a game build running on my phone and FMOD Studio on my Mac.
(3) What is the SIMPLEST way to iterate on FMOD content with my engineers? If I needed to send them updated sounds. Say, even without formal source control yet. Can I do something like choose “Single Platform Build” (iOS) and send them the single bank file?
I will hope to answer the questions in the order you asked them
(1) There are no required naming conventions when making your events in FMOD Studio. Follow whatever conventions work best between yourself and your audio engineers.
(2) Live Update is able to connect to an IOS device, the set up is explained here: Connecting Using Live Update. In the Platform Specific section of the FMOD for Unity settings make sure Live Update is Enabled.
(3) Yes you can send single updated banks with updated sounds although this may have unexpected behavior, steps to setup Version Control can be found here: Using Source Control.
Let me know if that helps!
@Connor_FMOD Thank you very much for clarifying!
(1) That’s good to know. Earlier it wasn’t clear whether underscores (_) I’ve seen in other projects were due to dependencies in other file systems or FMOD<->Unity.
(2) There’s an underlying assumption here that both the desktop computer (with FMOD Studio) and the iPhone are on the same wi-fi network too, right? Since this Live Update is done wirelessly and not through a Lightning cable, yes?
(3) Any specifics about “unexpected behavior” to be aware of? Aside from having more collaborators involved would require communication to have the right bank, source control or not.
Happy to help!
(1) That’s understandable, but you can name the events whatever you like!
(2) Yes, both devices have to be on the same network and can be done wirelessly without a lightning cable.
(3) The unexpected behavior can occur in the instance of a single Master bank being used in a project. An explanation of this is here: FMOD Studio Concepts.
When sending an updated bank file keep in mind: if you create or delete events in the bank, not only will its file change, but the Master.bank and the Master.strings.bank will too and they’ll have to be sent too.
Hope this helps!
Thanks again @Connor_FMOD you’re so helpful!
Is FMOD Studio 2.02 compatible with older versions of Unity like 2019? I presume being “Verified Solution Partner” means there’s backwards compatibility?
You can find a list of supported Unity versions in our docs under the section for Welcome to FMOD for Unity, and it is also listed on the FMOD asset within Unity when importing the asset.
Hope this helps!
@Connor_FMOD Again, gracious thank-you for clarifying. Even if it might seem basic, I want to have the most accurate info to act upon.
How is renaming of FMOD events handled with Unity integration?
I was looking at various examples where “
event:/PATH” is shown, but unclear on how that gets automatically updated, if at all.
Do events and their paths automatically propagate changes with FMOD <-> Unity, or must I take special precautions not to break those “links”?
Outside of Unity, I’ve previously referenced by FMOD GUID which was a fairly foolproof way to organize the hierarchy of an FMOD project without breaking connections. In other words, things that I didn’t know from the beginning, that became clearer later on as the asset count went up and complexity grew. Or another practical example: as certain game characters and elements get renamed as the project continues, I’d prefer to have the most up-to-date names in FMOD so it’s clear what’s referring to what.
I was looking at previous forum inquiries related to this, but they’re from some years ago: Changing asset names and folders in a Unity integrated project - #3 by Tomavatars
My pleasure. happy to help!
There is a handy tool called FMOD Event Reference Updater which is explained under Unity Integration: Tools. The Event Reference Updater will scan all
ScriptableObjects in your project for issues with
event references and guide you through resolving them.
So you don’t need to worry about renaming
events or changing their folder location inside FMOD Studio as this tool will help you resolve any issues it detects!
But if you are still worried about moving/changing the name
events inside FMOD Studio then the other way of identifying
events is their
GUID which are explained under GUIDs and Paths. A
GUID is unique to each
event so this means even if its file location or name is changed, its
GUID will remain the same forgoing the need to run the Event Reference Updater.
Hope this explains things!
Again, big appreciation @Connor_FMOD — I hope your answers will help others looking, too!
What do we need to know about Apple Silicon support and FMOD? I notice FMOD Studio is not native yet, but the FMOD API is? Have been upgrading a lot of my audio apps to Apple Silicon versions, and they’re noticeably a lot faster, so I’m curious what the roadmap looks like for FMOD?
But I haven’t been able to find a documentation page summarizing this topic.
Happy to help!
I can confirm that getting the API native to Silicon was our main priority and that getting FMOD Tools e.g. Studio is going to take a little longer. It is on our road map but there isn’t a release date yet.