First steps for developing a DSP plugin

I’ve started looking into making my own DSP effect for FMOD, but I’m not really sure where to begin. The Plugin API documentation pointed me towards a fmod_dsp.cs, but I’m not really sure what to do with it. It’s full of useful-looking comments, but I’m not sure if this is a template I’m supposed to hollow-out, or if it’s a class that I reference from a new class, or something else…

I’m also not sure whether it’s possible to write an FMOD plugin in C#, but that’s the only language I know, so I’m hoping it’s possible.

If there are any learning resources available for how to get started authoring an FMOD plugin I’d appreciate being pointed at them.

Have you read our DSP Architecture and Usage and DSP Plugin API white papers? Between them, they explain the theory and practice of DSP design. The Core API DSP reference chapter has code examples for C, C++, C# and JavaScript.

Does that help?

Hi Joseph,

I’ve read these, but I’m not sure what the development environment is…?

I’ve found some example executables in the Studio API folder, but the example code for all these is in C++, and the only thing I can find in C# is fmod_dsp.cs, which I don’t really understand the use of.

You have now discovered all of the plugin API resources currently available. If you have any specific questions about parts of our documentation that seem unclear, please let us know.

It seems that I’m in over my head on this one. I think if I had access to an example plugin written in C# I could reverse-engineer how it works and eventually figure things out, but I’m afraid the C++ example scripts are all Greek to me.

You may also want to check out https://www.fmod.com/resources/documentation-unity?version=2.1&page=examples-dsp-capture.html - its just a capture dsp, but it does give an example of how to use the dsp api in C#.

Thanks Tristan, I’ll drill into that for a while and see if I understand it any better.