FMODStudioSettings asset git clutter

Heya folks,

using Unity 6000.0.2f1
using Unity Integration 2.02.20

For some reason the FMOD StudioSettings asset gets overwritten when imported on mac and imported on pc. Meaning, when I push my project from windows and pull the latest changes on my mac the StudioSettings assets reimports and the MasterBanks entry gets overwritten and vice versa.

from PC to Mac:
Desktop/Master → Master

from Mac to PC:
Master → Desktop/Master

What can I do to stop that? :slight_smile:

Is it the FMODStudioSettings.asset or FMODStudioCache.asset that is being modified?

The plugin generates these asset files:

• Assets/Plugins/FMOD/Resources/FMODStudioSettings.asset stores all of the plugin settings. This file must be shared between all developers, so it should be added to source control.
  • Assets/Plugins/FMOD/Cache/Editor/FMODStudioCache.asset is a cache file used to speed up the plugin UI. It does not need to be shared between developers.

https://www.fmod.com/docs/2.03/unity/user-guide.html#using-source-control

I can confirm it is indeed the FMODStudioSettings.asset, the Cache.asset is ignored in our gitignore

Are the FMOD Banks also stored in source control with the project or are the built and stored on each machine?

Hey @cameron-fmod

the banks are inside the Unity project and are also committed:

I have been unable to reproduce the issue myself, and I’m not sure how got the point that it has a folder in the master bank name.

Here are a few things to check:

• Both machines are on the same FMOD version.
  • Is there anything else at all (related to FMOD) that changes, also check files that may be ignored from source control.
  • Are the banks in the exact same place on both machines?
  • Are there any files on one machine that don’t exist on the other?
  • Does the FMOD Unity Settings look the same (in the Unity Editor) on both machines?

Hey @cameron-fmod

• the Mac machine does not have FMOD Studio installed, is this relevant?
    Or are you talking about the Unity FMOD Plugin, if so, the whole project is in git and therefore it’s synced by design and on the same version
  • Nothing else related to FMOD does change, no, which files should I check that are ignored?
  • You mean the exported banks? If so, same applies here, the project is in a git repository, therefore the path has to be the same
  • Not that I am aware of, are you refering to something specific?
  • I have the project now open on both devices, my mac and windows machine and the FMOD Unity Settings look identical.

Sorry for the late replies but I dont get email notifications for some reason when someone replies :confused:

the Mac machine does not have FMOD Studio installed, is this relevant?

No that shouldn’t be an issue.

Nothing else related to FMOD does change, no, which files should I check that are ignored?

We have an example of a .gitignore in our docs: https://www.fmod.com/docs/unity/user-guide.html#using-source-control. If anything FMOD related is different then it could worth double checking.

You mean the exported banks? If so, same applies here, the project is in a git repository, therefore the path has to be the same

Which ‘Bank Import’ option are you using? (ie. Studio Project, Single Platform, Multiple Platform).

Not that I am aware of, are you refering to something specific?

Possibly extra bank files or just anything that could interfere with the plugin, this also relates to the point about checking the .gitignore as it could hide a difference between machines.

I have the project now open on both devices, my mac and windows machine and the FMOD Unity Settings look identical.

I cannot find a reason for this to be occurring, or have I been able to reproduce the issue myself. Are you able to test this in a new/different project?

Hey there,

so I want to say that this has not been occuring for a couple of weeks now! I did not touch anything fmod related until then, but I also did not export anything new from fmod until now, this will change in the next weeks since our composers/sfx people will add new stuff so I’ll keep this in the back of my mind, but to answer your questions:

Alright so the .gitignore of our unity project has this part for FMOD:

# FMOD

# Never ignore DLLs in the FMOD subfolder.
!/[Aa]ssets/Plugins/FMOD/**/lib/*

# Don't ignore images and gizmos used by FMOD in the Unity Editor.
!/[Aa]ssets/Gizmos/FMOD/*
!/[Aa]ssets/Editor Default Resources/FMOD/*

# Ignore the Cache folder since it is updated locally.
/[Aa]ssets/**/FMODStudioCache.asset
/[Aa]ssets/**/FMODStudioCache.asset.meta
/[Aa]ssets/Plugins/FMOD/Cache/*
/[Aa]ssets/Plugins/FMOD/Cache.meta
/[Aa]ssets/Plugins/FMOD/Cache/Editor.meta

# Ignore bank files in the StreamingAssets folder.
/[Aa]ssets/StreamingAssets/**/*.bank
/[Aa]ssets/StreamingAssets/**/*.bank.meta

# If the source bank files are kept outside of the StreamingAssets folder then these can be ignored.
# Log files can be ignored.
fmod.log
fmod_editor.log

And the FMOD Studio Project itself has a gitignore that looks like this:

####################################
FMOD Studio Project
*/.cache
*/.unsaved
*/.user
*/__MACOSX

I think both of this should be fine, right?

As for the FMOD Settings/Bank Settings, here is a screenshot:

Thanks for the update, as far as I can tell everything there looks fine.

Fingers crossed it’s all sorted now and stays that way :crossed_fingers: