From 1st person to cenital view 2 listeners

Hi guys.
I’m developing a project which changes the perspective from 1rst person to a cenital view on a TV where the player is in that case on the middle of the TV screen.

The problem I found is that my min and max distance values on my events’ spatializers are not right for both cases, because on the 1rst person they must be higher in order to listen far away, but on the tv screen I want to listen only what you can see on the TV screen, so the max distance must be lower.

I don’t want to change all my events’ 3d atributes, so I was wondering if I could create 2 studioListeners and give them different min and maximum values of listening (or scale it). By the way, I have all those events that I want to control in a FMOD Studio Group, so they are routed into the same bus called SFX. That SFX bus acts like a channel? Should I use Channel::set3DMinMaxDistance or maybe could I change System::set3DSettings distancefactor or rollofscale?

Thanks.

I don’t want to change all my events’ 3d atributes, so I was wondering if I could create 2 studioListeners and give them different min and maximum values of listening (or scale it).

Min and max distance are properties of the event and event instance, not of the listener, and so cannot be customized on a per-listener basis.

There are potentially a number of ways you could achieve a similar effect through different means, but in FMOD Studio versions 1.10.11 and earlier, all such methods require either adding a parameter to your events to manually automate their volume or gain, or altering the 3D positional information you feed your event instances when in one view so as to artificially reduce or increase the distances they “think” they are from the listener.

1 Like

Understood Joseph. Thanks for your quick reply. I really aprecciate it.

I had the idea of capture listener’s audio output and use the Transceiver to send it in mono to a 3D event, being this 3D event like a speaker that is listened by a 2nd listener and the 1rst listener as a microphone. Something similar to this post I found on FMOD forums: capture-listeners-audio-output-and-then-playback-elsewhere-in-the-3d-scene.

It works pretty well, but again I’m worried about listening instances too far away from the microphone listener (cause my sight field is limited due the cenital view). So my last question before adding a parameter to my events to control the maxDistance of all events as you said is:

What about using the System::set3DSettings and change the rollofscale? Can I change it everytime I change my perspective? Do you think it could work?

If so, with the music in 2D and the closer sounds to my “microphone listener” playing I think the rest of events won’t be a problem if their volume is lower than before.

Thanks again!

What about using the System::set3DSettings and change the rollofscale? Can I change it everytime I change my perspective? Do you think it could work?

That should work!