Multi-Instrument set randomization seed in runtime

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to set the randomization seed for a multi-instrument during runtime.

I’m running into an issue where we need randomization to be synced across clients, but it’s not possible to set the randomization seed during initialization as fmod is already initialized before a client connects to the server. This way we could easily sync the randomization across clients.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to change the FMOD Engine’s random seed mid-way through a game session.

As such, if you want to be able to synchronize which playlist entry of a multi instrument will play across multiple clients, there is no way to do so; the only workaround is to remove the playlist entries from the multi instruments and instead control which one plays using parameters whose values are synchronized and randomized by your game’s code.

Thank you for pointing out this limitation of our current system. I’ve added a task to our feature/improvement tracker to support changing FMOD’s random seed mid-game, so that there will be a simple solution to this issue in future.

1 Like

I can understand this taking a while before it might be implemented. But would it be possible to receive a message when this has been added?

We don’t send personal messages to users who are interested in new features (if we did, there’d be far too many of them for us to keep up with), but we announce new versions of FMOD Studio in our newsletter, which you can sign up for at the bottom of this page.

1 Like

Alright, fair enough haha. Was worth a shot ofc.

Hello

This feature would be very useful for our team too. Ability to set random seed in runtime is a must for any networked game. Of course it can be done with programmer instruments, but it’s like setting the sun manually - instead of calling just one function to sync seed you have to build another system/pipeline there.

Thank you!

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll add you to the list of people who’ve requested this feature.