Recording several FMOD Studio Listener's incoming data and storing to seperate WAV files

I’ve got a project using Unity, FMOD and SteamAudio set up, and I’m currently trying to have three virtual microphones record the audio that is arriving at their respective listeners. It should end up with three different sounding files. However, I’ve only been able to create a script that records the same audio that ends up playing through my headphones using the scripting example “DSP Capture”.

Is what I want to achieve even possible using FMOD? If so, how? I haven’t found an issue in this forum that had the same issue as me yet, so I haven’t found an answer yet.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I am not sure I understand completely, would it be possible to elaborate on the behavior you are looking for and the audio you are expecting to hear from each of the virtual microphones?

There might be a slight misunderstanding of the function of a listener. In summary, Listeners don’t ‘record’ their own signal, as they are used to define points in 3D space that ‘hear’ the audio and not collect output from event instances.

Yes, it should be. Hopefully, with more information we will be able to find a solution.

Thank you for your response!
As for the behaviour of the virtual microphones, they should simply start recording the output that they are collecting the moment the Unity project enters Play-mode. The resulting files should sound as if a microphone was placed at the point in the scene where the FMOD Studio Listener is located. As you’ve specified, Listeners collect output, so I was hoping that there could be a way to access this output for each Listener individually to create this recording script.

Thank you for the clarification.

Apologies for the confusion, I was going to say “and not collect output from event instances”

For the specific behaviour you are looking for, you could create 3 identicle FMOD Systems, this way you can record the final mix for each system from the desired positions. FMOD Engine | 6. Studio API Reference | Studio::System | Studio::System::create

I would also suggest having a look at our simple_event.vcxproj, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\FMOD SoundSystem\FMOD Studio API Windows\api\studio\examples\vs2019\examples.sln for windows, as a reference of how to set up a FMOD System. These examples are in C++ but provide a good reference for C#

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.