Recurrent warnings on Editor Update

Hi there,

I’m seing many of the following warning since I updated to Unity 2020.2.1:

Importer(TextScriptImporter) generated inconsistent result for asset(guid:f16f97f9b9ce5fc40be6c790f477ac99) “Assets/Audios/Wind/Soft.bytes”

Full size image here

It’s not critical but it makes my Editor “hick up” every 5 seconds or so, the mouse cursor turning to a spinner for a short time. And it’s quite irritating.

I’ve found a Unity bug report marked as “By design”:

Are you guys at FMOD aware of that issue? Is there any way to avoid that?

Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know about this. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue so far - what version of FMOD are you using?

FMOD 2.01.08 + Unity 2020.3.2f1

Not 100% sure but I think the issue started after I turned ON “Build banks to folders mirroring the banks browser hierarchy” (which was not working in the previous FMOD version I was using). Also, I think it started to happen after I had to regenerate the whole Unity’s /Library folder.

As a temporary fix, I decided to comment out the code where the automatic banks reimport happens.

Thanks for the additional information - I have been able to reproduce the problem now. We’ll look into fixing it, but in the meantime you should be able to disable automatic bank reimporting by changing the Refresh Banks setting (in the Bank Import section of the FMOD settings) to Prompt Me or Manually.

Based on this forum thread and this one, it looks like this is a known issue in Unity.

I was able to make the warnings go away by deleting the Library folder and reopening the project - does that work for you?

The project I’m working on contains hundreds of 8K textures. Regenerating the Library folder takes hours and I’m not going to be able to try this now. Also, as mentioned in my previous message, I think this started after I had to regenerate it (upgrading from Unity 2020.2 to 2020.3).

Though, I just realized I was using the Asset Store version (2.01.07) which doesn’t not have the Refresh Bank setting option. I upgraded to 2.01.08 (available on your website) and I’ll let you know if the warnings/hick up issue happens again.

Thanks again for the great support!

OK, no worries - please do let us know if you have further issues.

This was a Unity issue that has since been resolved:

Asset Pipeline: Fixed an issue where the Unity version was no longer written to a serialized artifact files that was generated during asset importing. This caused inconsistent import results across Unity versions. For existing projects, users must either do a “Reimport All” or delete the library folder for this fix to take effect. (1310981)