Setting Volume Automation for Specified Timeframe

Hi everyone,

Apologies, I’m an FMOD n00b and this is for a school project.

Basically I’m implementing this track into a puzzle game where under certain conditions (namely when the player matches a certain number of blocks) I want to effectively unmute certain tracks for a period of a bar or two.

the parameter is labeled “c-match” and despite it being basically a binary where 0 means not triggered and anything from 1-5 means triggered. I’m really unsure what exact message is being sent from the game when a match is triggered but the most common problem I’m having is that it will trigger and the particular track will turn on and stay on or when I futz with the velocity and seek speed it will just trigger for a blip.

I have no idea why the developer set it up this way and I do not have contact with the original developer and my instructor is out of reach at the moment. I wish I could be more helpful in that regard.

Here is a screenshot of the c-match parameter:

The track I’m trying to automate

It’s safe to say that your game’s code is setting the value of the parameter to a number between one and five. Probably to five, assuming the parameter has velocity originally.

How long (in seconds and miliseconds) is “a bar or two?” Without knowing that information, there’s no way for us to tell you what you should set your velocity and seek speed to.

I notice you’ve given the parameter a seek speed of 2.25 units/second. This is the maximum rate at which the parameter’s value can change - meaning that if the parameter’s value is 0 and your game’s code sets it to 5, it will take 5/2.25 = ~2.22 seconds to reach that value.

You’ve also given the parameter a velocity of -2.4 units/second, meaning that once the parameter’s value is no longer changing due to seek speed, it will decrease at a rate of 2.4 units/second until it reaches its minimum value - meaning that when it reaches five, it will fall back to 0 over a period of 5/2.4 = ~2.08 seconds.

Putting those two things together, when your game sets the parameter’s value to 5, the following things will happen in the following order:

1. The track will remain silent for 1/2.55 = 0.39 seconds.
  2. The track will then become audible and remain so for 4/2.55 + 4/2.4 seconds, i.e.: ~3.24 seconds.
  3. The track will fall silent again.

In what ways does this behavior differ from the behavior you want?