How EXACTLY do I use the transceiver plugin?

Hi. I’m trying to set this up in FMOD and through Unity. Been waiting for the updated manual for a year now. So, how does it work? Step by step please. I can’t figure this out.

I’m trying to set up water laps in a zone using only one track of laps and I’d like to space the transceiver receivers up in the scene.

Thanks tons, anyone who helps me. :wink:

Cory

1 Like

Oh yeah, I should add. Using the Oculus spatializer as well. It’s VR.

Transceiver effects are simple to use but also very powerful, and allow you to break the normal rules that govern how buses, tracks, and events can be routed in FMOD Studio.

A transceiver effect can be set to transmit or to receive, and can be tuned to any of 32 different “channels.” A transceiver effect that’s set to transmit is a bit like a send, while a transceiver effect that’s set to receive is a bit like a return bus: A transceiver effect instance that’s set to transmit sends a duplicate of the signal at its position to every transceiver effect instance that’s set to receive and is tuned to the same channel.

This means that if you put a transceiver effect set to “transmit to channel 4” in your “A” event, and a transceiver effect set to “receive from channel 4” in your “B” event, every instance of your “B” event will include the signal from every instance of “A” in its mix.

So, if you have four instances of your “A” event playing simultaneously, and one instance of your “B” event, the “B” event instance will output a mix of the signals from all four of your “A” event instances. Conversely, if you have one instance of your “A” event, and four instances of your “B” event playing simultaneously, each of those “B” event instances will output its own copy of the output of the “A” event instance.

2 Likes

I get what it does. But how do I set it up?

I make a transmit event with the sound effect on an audio track (using a transceiver set to transmit to ch1), and also a receive event (with no sound effect on a track with a transceiver set to receive on ch1) in fmod set to the same channel? The receive event has an oculus spatializer plugin on it. In Unity, I make an fmod object for both the transmitter and one for the receiver. Both set to enable when the scene loads. In theory, the transmitter should transmit to the receivers, right? I hear nothing except for the sound coming from the transmitter.

I haven’t been able to get this thing to work at all yet. I’d love to be able to use it because I can think of a million uses for it. AM I missing something?

What’s active in the receive event that keeps it alive? If the answer is nothing, try setting it to persistent in the macro controls, or adding a loop region or sustain point to its timeline, to ensure it doesn’t think it’s finished and automatically stop as soon as it start playing.

1 Like

That did it. Set it to persistent! Thanks, Joseph!

Hopefully it gets added to the documentation for other dudes like me. :wink:

I’ll make sure it is.

I’m glad to hear you were able to get your events working.

2 Likes