Is Unity's built-in audio engine FMOD Studio (FMOD 5)?

I know that this isn’t a useful question to anyone and feel really sorry to ask here, but out of curiosity, does the latest Unity Engine internally use FMOD Studio?
I heard they used FMOD Ex for their older versions, but is it still true?

You heard correctly, Unity still uses FMOD Ex, version 4 of our Core API.

1 Like

Oh, I see.

Thanks!

Some follow-up questions.

1. Is Unity still receiving bug fixes or updates (such as AAudio support on Android) from the FMOD development team?
    Because I don’t see any FMOD 4 downloads from the download page here.

2. Are there any other open game engines/frameworks (not in-house tools) that use FMOD 5?
    Even Unreal doesn’t use FMOD 5?

3. How do I manually disable the built-in Unity audio to prevent it from consuming the resources?
    I know FMOD Setup Wizard of the FMOD Unity plugin does this for us, but I’m currently integrating my previous C++ project myself.
    I mean, I’m using FMOD Core API instead of FMOD for Unity, so need to do it manually.
    Are removing the Audio Listener component and ticking the ‘Disable Unity Audio’ option in the Project Settings more than enough?

1. FMOD 4 is out of support now, so they are not receiving fixes or improvements from us, however they do have a source license and have been maintaining the code themselves.
  2. None immediately come to mind, there are existing integrations with Unity, Unreal and CryEngine though.
  3. The “Disable Unity Audio” project option is what the setup wizard ticks for you, doing that and removing the listener should be sufficient to fully disable Unity built-in audio.
1 Like

Thank you.
One last question.
After ticking ‘Disable Unity Audio’, the sound of the Video Player component, which is Unity built-in API for video playback, got muted too.
It’s the expected behavior, but can this issue be solved with FMOD Core API or FMOD for Unity?
If not, do I need to have both audio APIs enabled?

The audio functionality of Unity video is played back with their audio system. FMOD doesn’t provide an integration with the video player system to handle this for you so the simplest solution is to leave the Unity audio system enabled and use it just for video.

Technically it’s possible for us to support this via the AudioSampleProvider experimental API Unity provides however that his an advanced topic and not a task that we have scheduled at this stage.

1 Like