Scatterer causes "PlaylistInstrumentInstance::startFullLengthHook : Attempting to schedule a sound in the past, this could cause inaccurate playback" spam

I currently have the issue of having events with Scatterer instruments that loop, which causes this to spam in the console. I’ve seen other posts here about loading sample data, and even found a post where Cameron from FMOD mentioned low spawn intervals (<20ms) could be the cause. But my spawn interval is 100ms-1 sec. I don’t know if this is still too low or if it is because I have too many event instances happening at once?

Are you seeing any other warnings or errors at all?

Is it possible you are using a streamed sound in the scatterer?

Thanks for getting back to me @cameron-fmod.

I’m not seeing anything else FMOD related and it is not a streamed sound.
Here is a screenshot of the event and browser with the sound file:

Apologies for the delay, are you able to share the entire log output?

No worries, do you mean the full log output from Unity or something else?

The same log that has the “Attempting to schedule a sound in the past” spam.

Here is the editor.log file from Unity, not sure if that is usable?

Editor.log (140.0 KB)

A bit more info, the way I’ve set it up is using FMOD Studio Event Emitter on a Particle System, with the event set to trigger on Object Start, and stop on Object Destroy. Pretty basic stuff.

Thanks very much for the info, I was able to reproduce the issue but only on Mac. We are currently looking into this and I will let you know what we find.

Ah interesting, I am working from a Mac! Probably should have mentioned that.

Hi Cameron,

Any news on this issue? :slight_smile:

Not yet sorry, we had to put it on hold while trying to get the next version out, as it appears to require more time than first anticipated. I am unable to give an eta at this point unfortunately.

Alright, well thanks for the clarification. I’m at least happy that you have it in the cards. Will you let me know here if you at some point get an eta? Or should I just keep a lookout for it in release notes?

We will update this thread when we have more information, thanks for your understanding.

Hi Folks, We just updated from 2.02.04 to 2.02.19 and seeing this issue. I’m on a PC so not seeing the problem, but the dev is on Mac and is. He doesn’t recall seeing it before.

I’m wondering if anyone has had any issues with builds/releases due to this? Our project is on iOS.

Thanks, Matt

We have found the cause of this: scheduling for scatterers on systems using a DSP buffer size of 512, and MacOS uses 512 by default while Windows uses 1024.

Unfortunately we aren’t able to fix this in FMOD 2.02 as the changes required are just too large and there would be some minor behaviour changes caused by it. Although it is scheduled for the next major version release.

@cameron-fmod Thanks for the hot update, is there any workaround for it at present? I’m running into an issue where it’s not just showing this error, it’s not playing the event at all. 2.02.19 on Mac.

I have a event with 11 scatterer tracks that loop but the spawns are spaced apart, at least by a few seconds each.

We are using the “Import Type = Asset Bundle” so I’m unable to check off “Load Bank Sample Data” as described in Attempting to schedule a sound in the past, this could cause inaccurate playback. Spam - #6 by cameron-fmod

I previously posted here: Scatter Instrument - Attempting to schedule a sound in the past - #10 by richard_simms

UPDATE: I am encountering some very odd behavior. I definitely have the FMOD Listener in the Unity Scene, but if I change some settings, the event with scatterers will NOT PLAY AT ALL.

I haven’t narrowed it down to exactly what yet since there appears to be some unpredictability, but in one case, when I set all “Min & Max Scatter Distance” to 0.00 (making it a 2D event) it played as expected again. But strangely, I have gotten it working with at least a few tracks set from 0.00 - 0.50.

So far I haven’t noticed any change if I check “Preload Sample Data” or toggle the Stream state of the assets being scatterer’ed. It spams the console with “Attempting to schedule…” regardless.

You could try attaching the Studio Profiler, it may be able to shed some light on what is going on.

You can also adjust the DSP Buffer Length, for Mac in particular, to 1024 in the FMOD Unity Settings. This should at least get rid of the warning message.

1 Like

@cameron-fmod I haven’t noticed anything obvious in the Studio Profile, oddly. But I’ll at least try this DSP Buffer Length adjustment. Besides potentially more latency, any other downsides to that? THANK YOU!

By doubling the DSP Buffer you will effectively double the latency of all events, which may not be ideal.

You can instead adjust the schedule delay of the individual Event Instance to 1024 (and any others using a scatterer), that way only the chosen events will be effected.

@cameron-fmod Ah sharp thinking! I’ll give that a go.

Why does Windows have a higher latency by default, does it have something to do with it inherently not being as “tight” as macOS Core Audio?